Another stupid bungee question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaniDives

Registered
Reaction score
Here I am again, lol. I hope I'm not boring you guys and I reckon I've made quite of you facepalm by now.

I see all of you pro's dive with sidemount-specific cylinders who have a little extra metal on the valve to loop your bungees around. Unfortunately I dive with 2 regular backmount tanks. That also means that my left reg is facing upwards, and my right reg is facing downwards, and the tanks open in ''opposite directions'', to keep the tank handles on the outside instead of facing me, for easy access.

I face the following problem...

The valves of the tanks look like this, as you all know them
XSSVP24.jpg

So whenever I loop my bungees around it, they don't stay in place as (in the picture) the right side is too short. As of now I've just been looping my bungees around the space next to the black tank handle twice and that stays in place, but it's a bit of a hassle to get undone at the end of a dive.

Is there an alternative that I don't know about yet, or is that just the struggle of diving with regular tanks?

Thanks for your patience, I know I'm a noob!

Get the SM specific valves. Using them as back mount singles is no problem at all. I’ve done that before for a while before I switched solely to SM.

Also, I loop my bungees around the handwheel/knob.

That'd mean having to change the entire valve out, yeah? I use rental tanks, don't always use them at the same center so that would be a bit of a hassle... Would be ideal if there was some sort of screw on attachment or something, if that hasn't been made yet I hereby put copyright on the idea :wink:

You should have mentioned you were using rentals. You poor thing, having to deal with substandard gear. :(

Try putting the bungee around the handwheel.

Also, are you using a top attachment point? All you need for that is a bit of paracord and a bolt snap. Easily installed on rentals.

If you're using rental tanks, you may just have to make due with the standard valves. However, since I use my own cylinders, I'd go with the type of valves shown above.

Also, as mentioned above, the should still work fine as back mounted singles. The knob would just be in the other side for the mirror image valve.

Also, I don't know if you use a yoke regulator for your back mount diving and DIN for your sidemount, but you can get valves that have a little insert to convert from yoke to DIN. Just FYI if you ever get your own tanks.

Yep, I have the top attachment and I use occasionally when I find the bungees a hassle. Luckily my full equipment is my own, just the tanks are rental

Yep, I have the top attachment and I use occasionally when I find the bungees a hassle. Luckily my full equipment is my own, just the tanks are rental

A number of us the top attachment all the time. With bungees. I find it handy quite frequently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom