another spring stap jet fin question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexxred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I bought some springs straps for my jet fins. You attach by crimping a ss D shaped wire into the buckle hole on the fins. The manufacturer suggests putting some plastic piping into the holes on the jets to prevent wear. So two questions.

1. Whats the chance of wear actually occuring? I can see this as a possibility, when you crimp the ss attachement closed it does put pressure on the sides of the buckles holes and deform the rubber.

2. What sort of piping could I use? The smallest diameter stuff I could find was 3mm soft tubing which does not fit. I could always drill the holes out bigger, but don't want to make a permant change like that unless I have to.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Alex

alexxred:
Hi all,

I bought some springs straps for my jet fins. You attach by crimping a ss D shaped wire into the buckle hole on the fins. The manufacturer suggests putting some plastic piping into the holes on the jets to prevent wear. So two questions.

1. Whats the chance of wear actually occuring? I can see this as a possibility, when you crimp the ss attachement closed it does put pressure on the sides of the buckles holes and deform the rubber.

2. What sort of piping could I use? The smallest diameter stuff I could find was 3mm soft tubing which does not fit. I could always drill the holes out bigger, but don't want to make a permant change like that unless I have to.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Alex
Do the spring straps have attachments like this?

012042.jpg

If so, just squeeze them with some large pliers to make the shape nice and squarish looking and call it a day.

Mark Vlahos

I used brass tubing in mine. Itwas I think 1/8" OD tubing and is a sug friction fit in the rubber lug.

The tubing prevents a few things. It prevents the end of the wire from gouging or cutting the rubber when you crimp them closed, it distributes the force evenly across the rubber lug, and it prevents any excessive wear at the ends of the lug if the wire is less than square.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom