Another shore diving question-Grand, Little or Brac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My admittedly anecdotal recollections of "the old days" are that the reefs were clearly healthier. I do recall that the Cayman Government had funded a reef survey that was done in 1992, because I happened to have dived with one of the research surveyors on the Brac that year. It would be interesting to add that data to this report so as to quantitatively compare just how much coral loss there was between 1992-1999, and complete more of this story.

-hh

Yes, and you don't have to go back that far. I have only been diving here since 2000, and I have noticed a big loss at some sites. But - and here's the good news - it's only some sites. The sites which get a lot of current flowing, or have very little diver traffic, fare much better. We still have some of the very best diving in the Caribbean. It's a question of picking your spots more carefully.

Those were two of my favorite boat dives. So could you (or Nipi) or anyone else tell me exactly where you enter to shoredive those two sites? That's something I'd like to do next trip. We're thinking about the Aggressor next spring and may spend a couple of days on the island also.

thx,

For Trinity Caves enter at the jetty where Turtle Farm Rd. turns left off Town Hall Crescent next to West Bay public beach. Trinity Caves & Round Rock are at 5-10 degrees off the right side of the jetty & a bit of a kick. Our preferred route is to descend on Round Rock, do a clockwise circuit of it, exit onto the wall through the little hole to the left of the pin, turn left on the wall, then enter the tunnels at Trinity Caves, wander around them for a while & return over the sand flats & coral heads. Can be 60 mins +.

Don't know about Aquarium North.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom