Another scuba boat sinking - Galapagos Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The USCG requirement for Non Inflatable PFD's is that they simply need to be onboard and accessible. The Class V inflatables have to be worn to meet the requirement..

Nice discussion about the PFD's but anything more on the boat itself? Was it the Aggressor? Anything on cause yet?

I have 6 of those Class V PFD's on my boat and everyone onboard wears one.... I have 4 Auto inflates and 2 are self actuated only. Like Don mentioned, I don't like the idea of auto inflating inside my cabin in case of a capsize. All 6 have an oral inflate option and all 6 are the offshore models with a heavy harnesses and security / lifting D rings. The great thing about them is that they are non restrictive and comfortable so folks don't mind actually wearing them..

One thing to note is that in order to meet USCG safety requirements they must be actually worn to meet the requirements if underway......

aP8raej.jpg
There are different classes of inflatables. The type III count if you are wearing them or not. The type V with type III performance or type V with type I performance (probably yours) only count if you are wearing them. Type III inflatables do exist, but they are expensive and hard to find.

I too prefer the manual inflate type. I don't like it when a wave splashes me & it sets the darn things off. Some auto gizmos have an impact sensor (like Mustang), others are only moisture sensitive.

Also, those D rings are intended to be used for clipping into jack lines to prevent going overboard. They are not intended for lifting the wearer. You can get the jack line harness as a separate item, or built in as yours are. I have both types. I don't really have a preference for one over the other.

Nice Fish, by the way. ...and it looks like you have another one on the line, behind you, to your right. Nice

Another Aggressor boat bites the dust.....
I checked several articles and none mention the owner's name. It seems like there may be pressure to conceal it, or maybe the oil company itself owns it?
A couple of boats are named that.

Not sure I understand. How is it different to non-inflatable life preservers?
If you are not wearing it, it is not considered a life jkt, as it has to be inflated to work. If you can't find it while the boat is going down, you can't inflate it. It will not float without being activated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom