Another new diver question!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsbat

Reaction score
I am possibly moving to the Everett, Wa area and I am a new diver. I am coming from Santa Barbara, CA and am hoping to continue diving in Wa. What kind of water temps are up there. Here is average about 58 Degrees. I wear a 7mm wetsuit and stay quite warm. Am I going to need a thicker wetsuit or a dry suit diving in Wa? Thanks any comments and info will be appreciated.

Jeff

Well welcome up here. I have dove watertemps ranging from 45-55, I dive dry, but I grew up in texas and don't have the looses screws that wet divers have up here.

Jeff-

Water temps vary from the mid 40s in the winter to the mid 50s in the summer up here. Combined with air temps a lot colder than in Santa Barbara, most people that dive year round up here dive dry. It is just way more comfortable. Once you get settled in up here, post on this forum again, the PNW has an active dive community with lots of people that will be willing to dive with you.

-Doug

We do have very hardy souls who dive wet, but I think they wear more than 7 mm -- like doubled layers of 7mm. It just ends up being a lot nicer to dive dry, even with the headaches that drysuits bring with them.

Post again when you're up here. There are a bunch of us who hardly need any excuse at all to go diving.

Another PNW drysuit diver.
Some divers dive wet year round and love it.
Most of us do switch to a drysuit at some point in time.

Let us know when you get to the PNW ~ will gather the gang and show you the sites.

I'm also in the drysuit club. You'll probably end up in the club too if you become an active local diver. I recommend renting several different drysuits before you commit to buying.

bruce.jpg

Me.

I dive wet all year long with a two-piece. I had now problem being underwater in January (38-41 degrees) but the surface interval during a shore dive can be the hard part.

Welcome to the PNW! I, too, am a drysuit diver (although not one of those snooty
WA drysuit divers...more of the laidback OR drysuit type...LOL :wink:..I kid, I kid..) year-round up here. It's far more convenient (easier to get on/off/back on again) and I daresay warmer than diving 7'n'7 in water ranging from mid-40's (sometimes mid-30's if you hit the mountain lakes!) to mid-50's.

Swing by Eugene on the trip up to WA...we'll head out!

Cheers,
Austin

Well welcome up here. I have dove watertemps ranging from 45-55, I dive dry, but I grew up in texas and don't have the loose screws that wet divers have up here.

Kevin why do I think you're talking about me? :D

It's definately possible to dive a 7mm wet in washington, but as mentioned, the winter surface intervals can be a little brutal. I generally do 1 tank shore dives in winter and crank the truck heater on the drive home. One of these days I'm sure I'll be getting a drysuit, but for now diving wet gets me in the water and is pleasant enough in the summer.

Jake

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom