Another myth debunked...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My brother-in-law had a cow ("Skinny Minny") who used to wander out onto the frozen marsh in mid-winter, for some reason. He used to just throw a chain around her neck, hook her up to the tractor, and tow her back.

In spite of a rapidly-moving flurry of hooves behind the tractor throughout the trip back to the barn, she never fell over once. I think their balance might indeed be pretty good.

I grew up around cows and new it was a myth. Not that I ever tried tipping, but I know that no matter what time of day or night you go out in the pasture, you can't catch cows sleeping.

Darn! Anyone for a snipe hunt?

Yeah, I've known this for some time... not so much the weight of the cow, which is significant, but the fact that in an evolutionary sense, these are pack-oriented prey animals. They've been domesticated but they are *very* alert. When some other species comes tiptoeing into the area, in the middle of the night, they will know, and they will react.

And I doubt very seriously the bull will appreciate whoever it is sneaking around messing with his concubines.

--'Goose

sorry guys, as hard as it seems I'd have to say that it is possible. But I don't advocate doing it. It's just plain mean.

Cows can be cruel. There was a herd where I kept my horse when I was a kid. One year a cow fell on the ice in the pasture and broke her leg, she managed to get up and get off the ice before the rest of the herd noticed her. The herd came over and kept forcing her back onto the ice where she kept falling and getting up and trying to get to dry land. The owner had to come out and run the herd off and take the injured cow to the barn. She spent a few weeks hanging in a sling in the barn but the vet fixed her up good as new.
Ber :lilbunny:

I've personally seen it done. I was too chicken to get out of the car, mostly because I didn't want to get shot. Three of my friends sneaked up on a cow, buried their shoulders into it, and knocked the thing over.

I'm sure there's got to be video of a cow-tip somewhere..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom