Another First Timer-Must do dive sites?-7 day trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brad J

Registered
Reaction score
First time to Bonaire end of June, we have 7 dive days, let me know your must do dive sites!

Or asked another way, any sites to avoid or not as great as you expected? National Park for example.

We like all the Caribbean usual reef life, but especially (like everyone else) would love to see turtles and rays (especially eagle rays).

We booked 2 days with East Coast Diving.

Thanks!

I go to Bonaire every year. I've only ever dove the west side. In general, the sites on the west side are relatively similar in profile and very easy to navigate. For boat diving, make sure you do some dives out on Klein. And whether shore or boat diving, a couple of favs are Salt Pier and (if you like wrecks) Hilma Hooker.

Where you are staying might determine ease of access. I particularly like Something Special and Salt Pier.

You are going to enjoy the East Coast diving. Totally unlike West side. You will almost certainly see turtles on these dives and significant probability of rays. Just make sure you have your buoyancy nailed down before these dives as safety stops will be in open water.

We booked 2 days with East Coast Diving.
You'll be tired of turtles after that, lol j/k. You'll see a lot!

I've been here for almost a month this visit, and so far Invisibles might be my favorite recently. There has been an eagle ray right around the buoy for at least 2 weeks, just hanging out. Also saw a nurse shark, and heard reports of multiple nurse shark sightings there. I mostly see eagle rays anywhere from the Lake to Tori's.

Playa Frans (furthest north not in park) and Lighthouse (furthest south) were my favorite sites by far in 2022, but SCTLD and/or bleaching has made it so I don't have a strong favorite now. Everything is still awesome, but more evened out -- the sites further out look more like the sites closer to center/town. At least in terms of bright colors (orange, yellow -- hard coral). I love the overall landscape at Karpata, Frans, and Invisibles though, the life and coral isn't much different than every other site, but the hills and valleys and shape of the reef is interesting to me.

I had one fail dive at Lac Cai (started with a bad compass heading) so really can't comment on how the east coast is currently. If it is anything like 2022 I really want to get back there ASAP, but not sure I'll book a boat dive this trip, even though the 2 we did last trip were amazing.

Thank you!

Can I get the recent situation on Bari? Is it accessible or blocked from construction?

If Bari has no access, is there another site that is similar in that has onsite rinse and showers, with a restaurant? So basically a one stop site to dive, rinse gear, shower and get the margaritas flowing.

We were in Bonaire in May, 2024. Salt Pier was my favorite dive. Was first time doing it. Have been to Bonaire 4 times overall. Spotted eagle rays came to us and circled each other, like dogs chasing each other's tail. Bonaire Pictures
the rays came at the end of the dive, as we were heading back to shore. Water was shallow then.
The eagle rays, Schools of fish and Sergent Majors were the photos from that dive. I had a semi-macro lens on so the schools are only slightly depicted.
Also Dove Bari and liked it, just as always in the past. Coral is damaged but lots of fish that seemed willing to pose and not afraid of divers.
We stay at Sand Dollar so we can access Bari from the dock there.
Hope this is helpful.

I was at Sand Dollar condos about three weeks ago and dove Bari several times daytime and night. There is construction and some road/driveway detours to get to the tank pickup/dropoff area with your pickup, but other than that seems fully open for business.

Where you are staying might determine ease of access. I particularly like Something Special and Salt Pier.

You are going to enjoy the East Coast diving. Totally unlike West side. You will almost certainly see turtles on these dives and significant probability of rays. Just make sure you have your buoyancy nailed down before these dives as safety stops will be in open water.
great info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom