Another First for Me!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CindyMac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Okay, I was vacationing in Myrtle Beach, SC with my children and grandchildren. My son and I decided to dive while we were there. Got it all set up and feeling terrific.

Got to the dive shop and filled out all forms. Got on the boat, no problems. Navigated out of the inlet and got into open water. So far, so good (not feeling sick). We reach the dive site. Boat stops. Uh-oh. Three to five foot swells start bombarding out boat (46'). Cindy is not feeling so well all of a sudden. Son looks a little green around the gills. I noted that we would be going down the line off the starboard side. I headed for the port side. One of my greatest fears was happening...I was sick as a poor, pathetic dog and hurling over the port side. To make matters worse (in my mind), I was the only female diver. Was able to finished gearing up, as was my son. Got in the water. I thought I was holding my FFM in a death grip. It was not enough, but able to easily adjust. Kept getting tossed by the waves (those things were looking bigger and bigger). Son got in with no difficulty.

We began descending down the line. Have to go slowly, because son usually has a little trouble clearing his right ear. Got it cleared and got to the fun part. We saw plenty of sea life. The jellyfish was mesmerizing. The barracuda are just amazing. And some of the fish giving me the stink eye. Enjoyed the tugboat and plane immensely! The current was enough that it really slowed me down. I tend to go faster than I should. I began to ascend and could not get back down. As long as I was underwater, I was totally fine.

Several people had already come back. Getting back on board was the feat of the century. Those monster swells kept knocking me about. I finally got the fins off and back on the boar. AND I immediately got sick again. This time, I didn't care which side I hurled over. My wonderful son was able to break down my stuff and his. He said he wasn't getting back in, either. I found the place I could sit and get a steady breeze and be mid-boat. I have never been so happy as I was when we got back underway!

I really felt bad for the dad/daughter team. The daughter looked to be about 12 and was excited to be diving with dad. She was in the water for about 2 minutes, tops. She panicked and just had to thumb her dive. She needed a nice Caribbean dive for her first.

Lesson learned: take anti-nausea medication the night before and 1 hour prior to getting on the boat.

The dive crew was terrific and I'd definitely dive with them again. I would just be a little more prepared. Bonaire kinda spoiled me in the boat diving arena.

I have a terrific "hurler's sunburn!"

Can't wait to dive again!!!!

I've dove there every year I think with the same company you have for the past 4 or 5 years when on vacation. I have never been out on a "calm" day and seen many go through what you just talked about. Last year I think there were only 2 or 3 other people in addition to myself on the whole boat able to do the second dive. I've learned always to take some Bonine the night before that way its in my system and take another the morning of the dive. Once on the boat I always sit towards the middle to front of the boat to help with the up and down motions of the boat. People always rush to get the seats on the back of the boat because the back side is open but usually they are the first to get sick too.

I will not get on a boat without a motion-sickness patch. I put it one on at least 12 hours ahead of time so it's in my system really well. I got sea sick on a deep sea fishing trip off the NC coast and never want to experience that ever again. So far, not had any issues on my dive trips with a patch.

I will be using the patch from now on when diving off the Carolina coast. Lesson learned!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Can I ask why you use a FFM? Does that complicate things when you have to hurl?

I hurled prior to getting in the water. Once I was in and descending, I was fine. I was only violently sick when the boat was anchored. My son was sick, but not as bad. I have to brag....my son, though he has fewer dives logged than I do, is one awesome dive buddy! We make a great team. We both tend to stay calm and not panic when things aren't just right. My husband gets frustrated easily, but since I've been diving he's gotten somewhat better. I think it's a matter of pride. I'm just happy I found a sport that I actually do well!!!

My husband and I both decided on FFMs, one was for the ability to talk to each other. The other was to provide some sort of safety net should one of us become unconscious that a patent airway could be maintained (he's a DVM, I'm a non-practicing Peds ICU RN). I am equally comfortable with a traditional reg and can ditch the FFM and put on a conventional mask and conventional reg should I have a mask failure.

I do enjoy the wider field of vision I get with the FFM. Also, I find that I don't have to worry about someone grabbing MY reg out if they are out of air and the FFM stays in place during those accidental bumps while diving.

I dove with the same operator once. Same dive sites. it was not rough.

There is some difference in the dive boats on how aggressive they are about going diving when it gets a bit rough. Not sure about the Mrytle beach area, I usually dive out of NC, but I find Aquatic Safaris out of Wrightsville to be more conservative about pushing it. Folks will still get sick once in a while but it is much less common then on some boats. On the other hand some like to get the dives in even if somewhat rough.

I rarely get sea sick and use no patch but I have twice. It can happen to anybody.

I'm kind of surprised they went out with 5 foot swells unless they looked at the list of divers and most of the boat were experienced divers. This year I was supposed to go out twice with them to the City of Richmond and Bill Perry. City of Richmond got cancelled due to 5-7 ft swells and got to go on the Bill Perry.

They had one diver who was completing his certification. About 1/2 the divers didn't do the second dive. Three or four were fishing and brought up 2 flounder and a couple more fish I'm not familiar with. The smell didn't help the tummy. Overall, the group seemed to have a good level of proficiency. Except the 12 year old.

I'm ready to dive again, but vacation is over! I'd go again in a heartbeat. ..buoyancy is improving and I learn something new each dive.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom