Another DFW dive shop closing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, I think the shipping charges offset the time and fuel expense of driving to the dive shop. I don't see the sales tax as a big issue because most people aren't running online to save 5% but because their LDS wants 30% or more. I also pay sales tax when I buy from Scubatoys yet 5 or my last 6 online orders have been to them, including some big ticket items.

I would have asked the salesmen how much money he thought he was going to make if he didn't accept the offer.

Dang! I thought Dave was tough. Glad I'm not a car salesman around here! :D

I know companies like scuba pro can pull some pretty dirty tricks. Too bad price fixing (might as well be labled price fixing) is allowed in the U.S., I've actually heard people talk about how thats actually really good for buisnesses.

I think it is price fixing, and it wasn't just that, it was the selective nature from the suppliers of who they turned a blind eye to and who they did not. No one paid attention to me when I was a little shop in the back of the business park. When I moved up front and started pulling customers from other shops, showing up with large numbers at the lake EVERY weekend ( and not just once a month like some shops), that's when I was getting noticed and finger pointing started. My selling practices were not original, I just followed a formula. I just got my chops busted more often. A few companies left me alone because my numbers were that good, some had to get on me because to many other shops complained. My idea was to price low and create more volume and my money came from the bigger discounts I received at higher buying levels. I used to use the analogy of climbing a ladder but it seemed like someone was always there to step on my fingers as soon as I got to close. Sometimes I crept past them though because they were sleeping! It's a numbers game....

Some customers understood, some did not. <snip> I was not a business person and thought that by being open minded, looking at the bigger picture of sacrificing profit for customer satisfaction would create more of a loyalty, but it did not....

Some of us still believe you and Troy were a huge asset to the local diving community, and we miss you both......

:popcorn: A lot of good information and insight here.

As the owner of a shop I know all the frustrations. Working 10 - 12 hours a day 6 - 7 days a week. Then you have some stranger come in and ask for a discount for a pair of fins:confused: I wonder if they ask for a discount at the doctors office. "C'mon Doc, can't you give me a break on that co-pay. After all, I'm thinking about scheduling a follow up.":eyebrow:

If an LDS is asking 30% over what you can get it for online, it means one of two things. 1. The LDS is trying to sell at a huge mark up, above and beyond MSRP. 2. The online shop is selling an inferior product. It may be gray market, factory second or some other less than desirable product. Or, it may be a bait and switch scheme. I price my merchandise in accordance with industry standards. I do give discounts to loyal customers. I may give a discount to a new customer if it is a quantity purchase or if there is a chance that they will become a loyal customer.

When it comes to having products on hand, I try to keep a good selection. I cannot afford to keep every size of every style of product that I carry. I've got close to 20 different BCDs in stock. If I were to carry those in every size and color combination, I'd have nothing in the shop but BCDs. If I don't have what you want in the store, i will gladly order it for you. If you need it right away, I can have it shipped over night.

I like the earlier discussion about web presence. I would like to make allot of changes to my web site. The 2 things holding me back are time and $$$. It takes a tremendous amount of time to load the catalog. Did I mention the 10-12 hour days? I do an OK job wit the web site, but I don't know all the tricks. I can't afford to pay someone the big bucks to re-do it. Any volunteers? I guess I could trade lessons for web work.:eyebrow:

What it comes down to as most of you have figured out, is owning and operating an LDS is a tough proposition. Its one that I currently love and I hope I don't burn out too soon. I did not get into this business to get rich, but I don't want to go bankrupt either. As long as this place can pay the bills, I'll do my best to keep the doors open.

Besides being a place to buy or rent gear and a place to get lessons, I like my shop to be a place where people can come and hang out. :coffee: We're not going to hound you about buying gear. You can come by and chat about your last dive trip or your next one. You can talk all you want about the sad state of affairs, but I don't like talking about the political race.:11:

Why not offer a web developer some gear at cost to help you out?

:popcorn: A lot of good information and insight here.

As the owner of a shop I know all the frustrations. Working 10 - 12 hours a day 6 - 7 days a week. Then you have some stranger come in and ask for a discount for a pair of fins:confused: I wonder if they ask for a discount at the doctors office. "C'mon Doc, can't you give me a break on that co-pay. After all, I'm thinking about scheduling a follow up.":eyebrow:

If an LDS is asking 30% over what you can get it for online, it means one of two things. 1. The LDS is trying to sell at a huge mark up, above and beyond MSRP. 2. The online shop is selling an inferior product. It may be gray market, factory second or some other less than desirable product. Or, it may be a bait and switch scheme. I price my merchandise in accordance with industry standards. I do give discounts to loyal customers. I may give a discount to a new customer if it is a quantity purchase or if there is a chance that they will become a loyal customer.

When it comes to having products on hand, I try to keep a good selection. I cannot afford to keep every size of every style of product that I carry. I've got close to 20 different BCDs in stock. If I were to carry those in every size and color combination, I'd have nothing in the shop but BCDs. If I don't have what you want in the store, i will gladly order it for you. If you need it right away, I can have it shipped over night.

I like the earlier discussion about web presence. I would like to make allot of changes to my web site. The 2 things holding me back are time and $$$. It takes a tremendous amount of time to load the catalog. Did I mention the 10-12 hour days? I do an OK job wit the web site, but I don't know all the tricks. I can't afford to pay someone the big bucks to re-do it. Any volunteers? I guess I could trade lessons for web work.:eyebrow:

What it comes down to as most of you have figured out, is owning and operating an LDS is a tough proposition. Its one that I currently love and I hope I don't burn out too soon. I did not get into this business to get rich, but I don't want to go bankrupt either. As long as this place can pay the bills, I'll do my best to keep the doors open.

Besides being a place to buy or rent gear and a place to get lessons, I like my shop to be a place where people can come and hang out. :coffee: We're not going to hound you about buying gear. You can come by and chat about your last dive trip or your next one. You can talk all you want about the sad state of affairs, but I don't like talking about the political race.:11:

Every time I go into a doctors office, I get a discount. I don't even have to ask. It is just the industry norm for insured patients.

I don't understand why you would be surprised that a stranger would ask for a discount on a pair of fins. The scuba retail industry has set the standard and experienced dive customers know what it is. High ticket items are readily available at a discounted price (or full price with compensating values included). If one shop will not deal, then find another that will. Shops that fight this are going to be the most vulnerable as the 1500 LDS are forced to trim the herd to what can be supported in todays environment. IMHO, Austin still has some trimming to do.

Good luck. BTW, look for me at Travis this summer. I'll be the guy with the inner tube BCD.:D

My comment on the entire MSRP thing, if a shop prices me MSRP, I won't be back.

Its not because I expect something special, its because there is compitition out there that will cut me a better deal - LOTS of shops in DFW -, I'm not talking about the web, I've got 10 regulators, I purchased 9 of them at LDS's for well under MSRP, obviously those shops got repeat buisness and made money off of volume and not a one time buy. - I'm not talking about just scuba toys here - I usually use more than one shop.

If I have to go into a dive shop and pay MSRP and drop lots of money before I start getting any kind of a discount, I won't be back.

I've been in dive shops where I couldn't get the time of day, but as soon as the wallet came out I was their best friend - I won't be back.

I tended to window shop a lot, but when I started dropping money I dropped A LOT of money at local shops, kind of funny but I see where some people have to warm up to the shop before the shop started cutting them breaks and deals, I tend to say the same thing about my shop, I'll stand off and wait to see how they warm up to me before I start dropping money.

My daughter got certified through SIS and I was pretty much set that was going to be my new shop.

So far tho shops have closed doors and changed hands so I keep changing shops :) I've got a couple I'm working with now, I've been impressed a couple of times early in the game so we will see.

This post is not meant as a rant by any means, its for the shop owners reading this thread and they want a personality profile on customers like me :)

I'm the one that comes in, asks a bunch of questions, looks at everything, but walks out with a $5.00 purchase and does this from time to time.

If I get treated correctly over the time I take and just a $5.00 purchase, I'll be back later on for more expensive items.

I consider myself "high maintainance" customer becaues I know exactly what I want to purchase and nothing else will do.

I say this because for you shop owners the next time a PITA like me walks through the door, it may be the day he needs to order 4 regulators :)

I would not consider a customer like Fixxer describes to be a PITA. I especially appreciate a customer that knows what they want. To me, the best gear for a customer is what fits them best and has the features they want. I don't care if it is the least or most expensive. I'll answer any questions you have and appreciate the $5.00 sale. All I ask is that I get a shot at the big ticket item when you are ready to buy. Milking me for information and then buying from somewhere else, with out giving me a chance is just not nice.

I basically try to develop a relationship with my customers. To do that means give and take on both sides. I could give you the greatest deal in the world and go broke in the process. That would not be good for either of us.

Back
Top Bottom