Another DFW dive shop closing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure where you're going with the tax thing, but local taxes are often offset by shipping costs if you're talking about sales tax. Buy something from a place like ScubaToys and you get to pay the sales tax plus shipping.

Actually, I think the shipping charges offset the time and fuel expense of driving to the dive shop. I don't see the sales tax as a big issue because most people aren't running online to save 5% but because their LDS wants 30% or more. I also pay sales tax when I buy from Scubatoys yet 5 or my last 6 online orders have been to them, including some big ticket items.

I once had a friend who made an offer on a new car. The salesman said that he wasn't going to make much money on the deal if he accepted it. My friend, Dave, said he wasn't there to make money for the car salesman. He was there to get the best deal he could for himself and his family. That's just the way it is.

I would have asked the salesmen how much money he thought he was going to make if he didn't accept the offer.

I can not speak for other ex-shop owners but for me it was just to time consuming. Between the classes, staffing issues, maintenance on the compressor, the shop itself, computers, etc., working on new marketing plans, talking to suppliers, shipping companies, email promotions, planning and conducting diver's day outs, constant monitoring of other dive shops, trends, consumer needs, well it just got to be to much. I think people always tend to boil it down to price and really that is just one piece of a very large pie. I was cheaper and competitive with every dive shop both locally and online. I was turned in by those dive shops over and over again for violating MAP's and other selling practices. I thought I was just playing in a competitive field. I can't even begin to tell you the number of times Troy and I sat at the dive shop by ourselves and shook our heads and thought the customer/staff has no idea what it takes to keep a business like this going. Some customers understood, some did not. Some staff understood, but most did not. I got tired of asking for help, needing help, arguing with idiots, traveling long distance, altering my schedule for ungrateful customers and staff alike. I blame myself in the end. I was not a business person and thought that by being open minded, looking at the bigger picture of sacrificing profit for customer satisfaction would create more of a loyalty, but it did not. It's been a tumultuous road since I sold my shop. I have a few regrets, but for the most part I am very happy now, less stressed, and surprisingly enough we have more money than we did than when we owned the dive shop. We spent a lot of money of convenience because we had to eat a lot of meals on the run, at the shop, or purchase meals for other people. Hotels, snacks, gas, ice, soda's , it all adds up. I appreciate the question FIXXERVI6, it helps to get it off my chest. I hope that the members of Scuaboard or any forum can understand what I am trying to say. It was fun for a while and then it just became a burden that took it's toll on my life. I would not do it again and I am very selective with my day to day activities now. Troy and I are planning a trip to West Texas/New Mexico to dive the blue hole next month, and then hopefully to Bonne Terre mine in May. This summer we are looking at motorcycle riding the Black Hills of South Dakota or stay local and travel to Big Bend and dive Lake Amistad. We have a trip planned for a week at Lake of the Ozarks in July with diving and motorcycling. I am really just coming out of a 6 month long funk and I am looking forward to my return to diving reguarly and locally. I still want to do some deep water and more cold water diving. Now I am rambling....carryon....

Thanks for your insight. Let me know when you make a run for the Blue Hole. I might be able to go diving too. :) That is... if you want the company.

Thanks for your insight. Let me know when you make a run for the Blue Hole. I might be able to go diving too. :) That is... if you want the company.

Absolutely. I will nail down a date this evening with my husband and then hopefully we can get a few people to meet us out there. I want to hit Balmorhea and the Blue Hole on a 3 or 4 day weekend.

My take on this.... having been a scuba gear and training consumer as we all have and are,,also having been on a dive shop staff and worked for that shop as an employee... there are ton of things going on behind the scenes that the average walk in customer never sees! Its alot of work to do it correctly.

I still think that we whom are lucky enough to have LDS's in our town should do the 'best we can' to support there efforts, in order to strengthen their position to be able to serve us better and have the products and courses we might need.

I am not totally against internet purchasing of gear, but I think we should at least give the local guy/gal a try first.

:wink:

I know companies like scuba pro can pull some pretty dirty tricks.

Too bad price fixing (might as well be labled price fixing) is allowed in the U.S., I've actually heard people talk about how thats actually really good for buisnesses.

I blame myself in the end. I was not a business person and thought that by being open minded, looking at the bigger picture of sacrificing profit for customer satisfaction would create more of a loyalty, but it did not.

That's a real bummer. I would have a hard time swallowing that myself. I know there are a lot of divers out there who are loyal to a certain shop. For the most part, I spend my money at one here in town...all because of reasons you mentioned above and because the guy who owns it is honest and looks out for his customers.

It's been a tumultuous road since I sold my shop. I have a few regrets, but for the most part I am very happy now, less stressed...

Well, you did the right thing then and you shouldn't have a single regret. Life is way too short for any of us to be in a situation that makes us unhappy. Enjoy that trip to Mexico and to Bonne Terre!!!

I am not totally against internet purchasing of gear, but I think we should at least give the local guy/gal a try first.

Well said!

Back
Top Bottom