Another computer quandary.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wrong, the Suunto will only do it if you "bend it". There are some other recreational computers that would lock you out if you went into deco though, whether you finished it or not which is a bit annoying. The fact that a computer locks you out because you omitted a deco stop is enough for me not to dive it
Which computers do that? Be specific please. It seems like such an outrageously bad idea it beggars belief.

Aqualung does it if you have any deco stop below 70ft. I'm not sure what their algorithm actually does so who knows when that kicks in.
Deepblu had it on the Cosmiq until I believe a relatively recent firmware update, but you have to make sure to update the firmware

A bunch of them lock you out if you put it into gauge mode or freedive mode and won't let you take it back out which is not cool.

I think the rest lockout if you skip a deco stop, but again, you may not always have the luxury of staying at the recommended depth and with a buffer of only 3ft, it's not a lot. I.e. if it gives you a 5 minute stop at say 20ft and then you can surface, but the hang line is at 17ft, then I'm going to 17ft regardless of what the computer says

A bunch of them lock you out if you put it into gauge mode or freedive mode and won't let you take it back out which is not cool.

I agree with you here. It is very annoying, too easy to do and pointless.

Which computers do that? Be specific please. It seems like such an outrageously bad idea it beggars belief.
I believe it is a feature of all computers that use RGBM.

To be clear, that is what happens if you go into deco and do not follow its directions on completing the deco stops. If you follow the directions, you will be fine, except for the fact that future dives will be pretty short for a while.

I'm unaware of a computer that will lock you out for going into deco and satisfactorily completing the dictated stops. It is true that Pelagic Pressure Systems computers, at least, Oceanic, is unable to calculate deco stops below 60 feet. It will put you into violation mode for a stop below 60 feet. That would be quite a dive on an Oceanic computer!

Aqualung does it if you have any deco stop below 70ft. I'm not sure what their algorithm actually does so who knows when that kicks in.
Deepblu had it on the Cosmiq until I believe a relatively recent firmware update, but you have to make sure to update the firmware

I think the rest lockout if you skip a deco stop, but again, you may not always have the luxury of staying at the recommended depth and with a buffer of only 3ft, it's not a lot. I.e. if it gives you a 5 minute stop at say 20ft and then you can surface, but the hang line is at 17ft, then I'm going to 17ft regardless of what the computer says

To me, this all really seems like a non-issue.

You would have to be WAY outside the limits of a sport (aka recreational aka NDL) dive to have a deco stop at 80 feet or more. That's not going to happen from "I went a few minutes into deco".

And does any computer yield a final deco stop deeper than 10'/3m? In other words, from the sport/recreational computers I have seen I would expect that if you go past your NDL, your mandatory stop (i.e. your ceiling) is going to be 10'/3m. If you continue to rack up deco, then eventually it will increase to a ceiling of 20'/6m. So, again, you would have to do more than just exceed your NDL by a couple of minutes before that would even come up. Which means there really should be no reason you ever can't fulfill any mandatory deco stop that you incur for yourself. A deco obligation that you shouldn't even incur in the first place, if you aren't trained for decompression diving (e.g. the OP). A hang line that is too shallow should never be an issue. And if you screw up so badly that you HAVE to skip a stop - because, say, you stayed down so long you went into deco AND you ran OOA while trying to hang for your deco stop - well then, I don't really see a problem with your computer refusing to cooperate with you on any plan to dive again within 24 hours. Especially if it will still work in Gauge Mode, which the ones I have seen will do. They don't lock you out of diving. They just lock you INTO Gauge mode.

This issue has never been clearly defined for US (United States of America) divers. Some lawyer in the know needs to finally explain jurisdiction, venue, and why the hell our DC's lock out.

The alternative is to pick and poke at what is available to see what each DC can do. Endless fun on SB.

I learned long ago to just buy something produced offshore under different legal restrictions (VR3) that just keeps guessing as you screw up.

No, I don't dive like that. But I follow this unspoken fundamental principle: You will always get more of what you subsidize. You want more people on welfare? Make welfare more attractive than working for a living.

...//... And if you screw up so badly that you HAVE to skip a stop - because, say, you stayed down so long you went into deco AND you ran OOA while trying to hang for your deco stop. ...
Nice drama.

Or you had to blow a three-minute safety stop that was promoted to mandatory?

Stuart, you nit-pick so much, I begin to hesitate to ever comment in a thread you participate in because, it usually ends up "Blue" must be defined as "light blue", "sky blue", "ocean blue', etc. etc. etc. Never enough....

Tom said some, and I might agree some. Did he check in and say that the Puck does? No, and following up with "some do", I excluded the Puck. Pardon for not being an English major, formulating the perfect response, having the editors verify/refine, and then publish the book...

good grief....

I'm out..............................................................

I have been diving an Oceanic primary computer running DSAT for 15 years/nearly 1400 dives. I do light deco on approximately 5% of my dives. The longest deco I have had is 14 minutes, all at 10 feet. I don't know what it would take to have a 20 ft stop, I can't even imagine what it would take to have a stop deeper than 60 feet and to enter violation mode based on this criteria.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom