Annoying popups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Virus Scans - Like in USBB's case can also be a virus of sorts.

Free downloads come at a price... that price is often adware, spyware, etc... Just exercise caution in any situation when downloading something that is "FREE" - google it first to see if others think it has caused them any problems with their systems... :wink:

There are a couple of things that will NEVER happen while I am the owner of ScubaBoard...

No stinking pop-ups.
I won't sell the data base.

This is the the cornerstone of trust between me and over 110,000 registered users.

Virus Scans - Like in USBB's case can also be a virus of sorts.

Free downloads come at a price... that price is often adware, spyware, etc... Just exercise caution in any situation when downloading something that is "FREE" - google it first to see if others think it has caused them any problems with their systems... :wink:
Well, Howard is certainly one of the ones here who knows much more about computers than I, but I don't think you'll have any problem at all with the links I gave above. Ad-Aware will hint at upgrading to the paid version, Spybot S&D encourages donations, and Avast does charge for other than private use, but that's about the extent of that.

I have my AOL calendar setup to send me an email reminder....
  • Every Sunday night forever to Update & Run Spybot while I sleep;
  • Every Thursday night forever to Update & Run Ad-Ware;
  • Every Tuesday & Friday night forever to Clear Internet Temporary Files, Explorer History and Form Data with a shortcut on my desktop to Internet Options, plus run Disc Clean and Defrag;
  • Every Wednesday night forever to run C Disc Check;
  • and I run a PCPitStop.com scan every day that clears out a lot of trash and tweaks some things for me - which could be a $20/year waste but I like it.
Seems like a good program for an old coot who doesn't really know much. :cool2:

Just had a friend of a friend come in and straighten it out. The problem was a lot (15 or so) of supposed spyware and other ones that load without your knowing, according to the description. And I suspect that people were playing on my computer while I was on vacation.
He downloaded and ran Spybot from their website, one he used on the system he manages in the US, and it took three restarts in SAFE mode to root them all out. Apparently a lot of them recognize when they're being attacked and stop the process of the uninstall, which requires the safe mode startup. I learned a lot today. There are a lot of "cockroaches" in the computer world.

Just had a friend of a friend come in and straighten it out. The problem was a lot (15 or so) of supposed spyware and other ones that load without your knowing, according to the description. And I suspect that people were playing on my computer while I was on vacation.
He downloaded and ran Spybot from their website, one he used on the system he manages in the US, and it took three restarts in SAFE mode to root them all out. Apparently a lot of them recognize when they're being attacked and stop the process of the uninstall, which requires the safe mode startup. I learned a lot today. There are a lot of "cockroaches" in the computer world.

Glad you got it all cleared up :)

Sometimes Ad-Aware can't remove some until I boot but does on computer boot. I remember one of my spy programs finding some it couldn't remove, don't remember the details, but found discussion on how to manually remove and prevent on a computer board. Glad your exorcism worked. :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom