Annoying popups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49

Contributor
Reaction score
For the last few days, whenever I log onto Scubaboard and am changing pages in New Posts, I get these popup advertisements almost every time I change pages. ?? What could be causing this?

Edit: oops, just saw Underseebumblebee posted this already. sorry.

For the last few days, whenever I log onto Scubaboard and am changing pages in New Posts, I get these popup advertisements almost every time I change pages. ?? What could be causing this?

oops, just saw Underseebumblebee posted this already. sorry.

Could you please post a screen shot? USBB has yet to do so...

We don't have ANY pop-ups on ScubaBoard, so unless someone can post a screen shot with these "annoying pop-ups" - and since only 2 people are reporting this... we can't figure out what the issue is until we see it.

Thanks. :)

I'll look into the spyware thing. This is what I get for going on vacation and leaving my computer open to other workers here.....grrrrrrrr.

Lately I have been getting adds that I would not expect to see on SB, things like "congradulations you are visitor 99999 and have won a prize, click on this add to claim your prize". These adds have been either in the small add space (long slim one) at the top or bottom of the screen. Are they legit adds (supposed to be on SB) and if not any idea where they came from?

I'm getting them on Yahoo mail now and anywhere I go. Some bug got into my computer that I think has nothing to do with SB. Almost everytime I change web page I get a pop up. Naturally, the first site I checked when I got home was SB, so I assumed....incorrectly, that it may be an SB problem. Thanks.

Lately I have been getting adds that I would not expect to see on SB, things like "congradulations you are visitor 99999 and have won a prize, click on this add to claim your prize". These adds have been either in the small add space (long slim one) at the top or bottom of the screen. Are they legit adds (supposed to be on SB) and if not any idea where they came from?

We do not have popups period. The top of the screen is only SB sponsors. Unless you're not logged in then there's a box above the forum / below the nav bar. The ONLY banner in the TOP of the screen is an actual sponsor of ScubaBoard.

I'm getting them on Yahoo mail now and anywhere I go. Some bug got into my computer that I think has nothing to do with SB. Almost everytime I change web page I get a pop up. Naturally, the first site I checked when I got home was SB, so I assumed....incorrectly, that it may be an SB problem. Thanks.
Spyware! Seems to be an increasing problem on the net. Some popups kinda look like a real Windows warning, with click here to fix, but that adds more spyware. Searching the net for solutions on specific problems can even lead you into sites that install more.

USBB was using Zone Alarm for protection but that's caused his problem. The only time I hear about that program is from the problems it causes.

But back to your lost security, I am certainly far from being an authority on such, but if I can clean machines of all those problems, anyone should be able to. As I mentioned in the other thread...
My grandson is going thru puberty and I was asked to clean their computer of some spyware that magically appeared on the computer. :eyebrow: I think that Avast, Lavesoft Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy will clean just about anything. All free, but the last two have to be manually updated unless you pay.
Avast: avast! antivirus - high security and protection from malware with anti-spyware and anti-rootkit software built in Free Virus program, better than any other I've heard of except maybe AVG. Even if you paid for Norton by mistake, this is better than it or Mcafee IMO. Download it, run a Boot-scan when it asks, go away for an hour or two. It'll clean up and turn your computer on again.
Some Notron programs have removal obstacles; had that problem on their machine too. You can remove it with their tool. Download and run the Norton Removal Tool
Spybot S&D - and there are many imitations: FileForum | Spybot - Search & Destroy

Ad-Aware: Ad-Aware 2008 - Reviews and free Ad-Aware 2008 downloads at Download.com

Add those two, update, run, clean. The Avast is self updating thereafer. The other two have to be manually updated; I update and run those weekly.

Well, it seems to be a good idea to boot your computer after adding any new programs, and the programs will run faster on a recently booked one.

But we certainly have many more knowledgeable members than I. See what they say about my suggestions, but I have cleaned many machines with those 3. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom