Announcing Diver-ID.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaimoser

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Gang! I'm starting up a website at Diver-ID.COM to allow divers to create their own custom Diver ID decals and buy GUE/DIR/TECH standard mix labels and was hoping to get as much feedback about our site as possible before our planned Go Live date on November 7th. If you could all give our site a look, LIKE us on Facebook if you would, and e-mail any constructive criticism or kudos (Kudos are good, we like kudos...
03.gif
it would be greatly appreciated.

I went to the website, and here's my reaction: I found it very strange that none of the entries for your decals showed the decal, either on or off a tank. Even the "action shots" in that section, don't highlight your decals. The only place they are even visible is at the bottom of the tanks on the cylinder ID section, and you used the same photograph for both the name and initial decal ads.

I think there is a market for what you are doing (especially if you do decals that are light relective) because there's a guy in the UK who seems to have a good business going doing this. I have decals from him on my scooter. But I'd like to see what you are selling, before I buy it.

I agree with Lynn..

Also, IMO making th background of the website blue just makes things harder to read and doesn't look as 'pro' :wink:

I was going to check. But you pose a risk to the firm I work at according to our network filters :(

Prominent assurances that your letters are the standard (3") height would be good. I've ordered decals before, only to have them be 2.5". It sounds like it shouldn't matter, but it's just enough annoying.

Ditto on Lynne's comment that knowing more about the stickers is important. Reflectivity and durability in particular.

Thanks for the input so far, Gang! We don't use any agency name on our decals. DiveSigns and the gentleman in the UK (Mark Emery) reference GUI as a standard mix authority of sorts. They have an excellent product and the niche market begs for a bit of competition. GUI, as well as other agencies or organization are keenly aware that as they create "standards" they're going to get referenced for doing so. According to our legal consultant, we could put a registered trademark or service mark up when we reference them like we've done with the reference to two large mail order catalog/online shops we admire, but it was deemed unnecessary. The bulk of the photos are placeholders for now. We only got a few runs done in production when there was a question of legality for the font type of the AP Evolution logo. We talked to the manufacturer and they don't hold any legal claim to the font type. Even Mark at DiveSigns has removed this featured font from his website, but if you ask nicely, he'll provide it to you. :wink:

We intend to grow the Diver-ID.com into much more than just name and mix decal sales, but that will be the initial draw. We've plans for less expensive alternative lettering (sans the highly reflective background), AND a harder wearing, less likely to get scratched, thicker, single-layer decal that is less likely to get boogered up when strapping a BCD to the tank like the current two-layered versions are.

Before we post our final products to the web, we want to finish vendor negotiations and be very sure we can offer the same consistent high quality products 100% of the time. We don't want a raw materials or vendor supply problem to bring us to our knees or compromise what people are counting on (the decal sticking to their tank until their VIP or Hydro) when they buy our Diver ID product. We've found "marine-grade" adhesive means different things to different vendors and some do not fit OUR description of perfect or ideal for the application. We are also doing what we can to buy from American vendors and keep any money we make circulating in our own economy. This may put off some outside of the US and seem foolish to some business people, but our economy here is hurting very badly, many people are out of work, and it just feels right to us, regardless of the additional costs that seem to be involved. In much of the world, America is STILL seen as a place where we make good stuff...it's just harder and harder to find American made STUFF! :)

We filed to legally become Diver-ID.COM, LLC yesterday and will be spending the next few days and weeks integrating a merchant account and online sales capabilities into the website. Our hope is to allow the potential customer to preview their desired Diver IDs online in the font type and colors they choose. We figure folks not only want to see the product (we will have PLENTY of photos soon enough) but they want to see their name in exactly the font and color they choose.

Another product we're considering is Dog Tags and if anyone wants to offer their opinion of dog tags for IDs on both people and dive gear (like BCDs). Maybe it sounds a bit morose, but I make sure to wear a set of dog tags when I'm deep, wreck, or diving a strong current just in case something happens to me and it might be necessary to ID my body. Buddies of mine use their old tags on a stainless ring to label their gear with their ID. They're not expensive to make (once one has the equipment) and it's also a bit of a novelty item to kids, so we're intrigued as to whether or not there is a market for them.

AGAIN, thanks for the input! :)

-Kai

all the suggestions here are good ones
A quality product is important, if it costs a bit more, than that's OK .. and if it uses materials from USA, all the better

Lose the nitrox stickers in the photos. It took me a minute to figure out that you were selling custom stickers with initials and names.

Unsure of the nomenclature "8-12", "3-8", "2-3". Are these measurements? Then 8"x12", etc.

Re-title them... "lit by flashlight" ... is that the one item offered that is reflective, or are they all reflective?

Offer discount when ordering multiples of same sticker- you're already set-up and it will do nothing but boost volume of sales.

The check-out page is a little final, it should include a "review order" tab. HTTPS secured by who?

Shipping was not predicted on the cart page. Whatever it is, it should be very inexpensive USPS- think about making it "included" for orders of over $X.

Since you're set up for it, I would offer custom bumper stickers.

May I suggest that you issue AOW cards, DM cards, etc, carrying the logo of your organization, or anythnig that sounds reasonable 'Diver ID Advanced Open Water", for example, with neat graphics and the diver's name nicely printed. You have as much right to do this as PADI does. Think of yourself as one of those diploma mills that sells college degrees. I'd like to pre- order one that says "POST- CERTIFICATION INSPECTOR", along with a bunch of legal looking violation/suspension citations that I can issue to various people I encounter. All in good fun, of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom