Anniversary in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
We will be having our anniversary on Bonaire this year.

Any great suggestions what we might do? We are not the go-out-and-get-smashed types, pretty laid back, of course we look forward to diving but, never having been to Bonaire, thought I'd ask if anyone had done something particularly romantic.

Thanks,

Bill

The stone staircase at the 1,000 Steps dive site up north is scenic for a few couples shots, particularly if you had someone along who could take the pics of the 2 of you together.

Likewise, there is considerable scenic vista to be had driving through Washington-Slagbaai Park up north. Rock formations, steep rocky coastline getting pounded by big waves and blue ocean, cacti-covered hills...it's actually pretty nice.

Richard.

P.S.: there's a little jewelry store call Jewel of Bonaire on the main strip. Ask to see sea turtle pendents with Caribbean opals. These can be quite striking and the prices aren't way out there for them.

As for where to stay, check this place out. Goood is a bed and breakfast that is on a hill that overlooks the ocean. It is up in a neighborhood away from all the hustle, and with only 5 rooms, everything stays quiet and cozy. The owners, Esther and Menno, will definitely take care of you. You can arrange a diving package to suit your needs and add boat dives out to Klein Bonaire or the park in the north, and of course you can rent a vehicle and do all the shore diving you want.

Everything is laid back at Goood. Menno will tell you to come on down to the boat "whenever you are ready." There is no pressure there, and your stay will be fantastic. Give it a look.

FYI, it used to be called Deep Blue View if you want to look up other trip reviews of this resort.

The stone staircase at the 1,000 Steps dive site up north is scenic for a few couples shots, particularly if you had someone along who could take the pics of the 2 of you together.

Likewise, there is considerable scenic vista to be had driving through Washington-Slagbaai Park up north. Rock formations, steep rocky coastline getting pounded by big waves and blue ocean, cacti-covered hills...it's actually pretty nice.

Richard.

P.S.: there's a little jewelry store call Jewel of Bonaire on the main strip. Ask to see sea turtle pendents with Caribbean opals. These can be quite striking and the prices aren't way out there for them.

'Thanks! These are nice ideas. Just what I am looking for.

Rand, we already have a placed to stay. Maybe next time.

DiverSteve, thanks for the restaurant recommendation. We could use a few more of those....especially nice but cheap ones where you can eat outside.

+1 for It Rains Fishes--excellent food
Also check out the Rib Factory (best ribs I've have ever had, anywhere), Pasa Bon Pizza (great thin crust pizza--good idea to order ahead of time and eat there--they are a bit slow, but it's good), Gio's (for awesome gelato), Elle's Deli (great to grab sandwiches to bring on shore dives).

If you do searches on here and elsewhere for Bonaire restaurants, a lot of people will mention Capriccio as a great Italian restaurant. Our group wasn't that impressed with it and most of us thought the strange, modern architecture of the place and the high prices didn't match up well with the exotic dishes and small portions. But you might think otherwise. It is about the fanciest place you can find on Bonaire.

Stay away from Wattaburger. It's a fast food burger place. Our burgers were still cold inside (obviously frozen patties) and we seemed to be a bother to the staff there when we interrupted their texting to place orders.

As for the diving, pick up this book, Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, by Susan Porter. You can order it through the link or pick it up locally at the places also listed in the link. The book lists all the dive sites on Bonaire and how best to dive them. It also lists their difficulty and details things like long shore dives, easy/difficult entries/exits, where to park, etc. We found it invaluable.

If you have any specific questions about anything feel free to ask here or PM me.

+1 for It Rains Fishes--excellent food
Also check out the Rib Factory (best ribs I've have ever had, anywhere), Pasa Bon Pizza (great thin crust pizza--good idea to order ahead of time and eat there--they are a bit slow, but it's good), Gio's (for awesome gelato), Elle's Deli (great to grab sandwiches to bring on shore dives).

As for the diving, pick up this book, Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, by Susan Porter. You can order it through the link or pick it up locally at the places also listed in the link. The book lists all the dive sites on Bonaire and how best to dive them. It also lists their difficulty and details things like long shore dives, easy/difficult entries/exits, where to park, etc. We found it invaluable.

Thanks! Especially for the book recommendation.

- Bill

I have to say I look forward to the brick oven pizza at Captain Don's. They have other more authentic island food as well- usually some fresh fish like wahoo. You may be able to reserve the table overlooking the water. With each frozen cocktail you get these little hand carved fish trinkets. We have a huge collection, but I love pizza and margaritas!

If you are staying at Buddy Dive they have the before mentioned book for your viewing pleasure as well as for sale.

Everything kind of shuts down early there so plan to go when it's still light out.

Rum Runner's (at Capt Don's) is a fairly inexpensive restaurant, ocean-front with good food. Gorgeous views and fairly romantic.

Just don't forget your mosquito spray when you plan sitting outside!

Best restaurant of Bonaire is At Sea, it is at the end of the strip towards Divi Flamingo Hotel. Second best is Will's in the middle of Kralendijk. Both serve excellent food and have outside dining. My personal preference for a romantic night out is Will's. The owner and his wife are very friendly and welcoming and they change the menu frequently. It is less busy than At Sea, so more fitting for a romantic setting.

Another good restaurant is La Guernica (tapas). Nowadays I stay away from It Rains Fishes, it used to be good but since it got popular, they crammed to many tables into a tight space and the service is rushed and so is the food.
Good lunch and great sandwiches are avaiblable at Deli Delicious, much better than Elle's Deli imho.

Back
Top Bottom