Annapolis to the US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah Nanaimo really is already the Trukk Lagoon of the north :wink:

Let's not even think that way ... or we'll soon be attracting divers who want to dive there just so they can get on the internet and brag about how awesome they are ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The latest post from the ARSBC (with an add-on note - On Friday Environment Canada listed on the MERX site (public contract tender site) asking for Canadian public contractors to submit a "Letter of Interest –Remediation Services for the ex-HMCS ANNAPOLIS". This is the first step in awarding a public contract)

February 14, 2014

Dear Friends and Supporters,

The ARSBC has had high level discussions with government authorities regarding options for completing important remediation work to the ship necessary to address certain environmental concerns with the project.

Steps are now being taken to engage a contractor to complete this work. A timeline for completing this work has not been finalized, however, we are hopeful that a detailed timeline will be established in the near future. Once
details regarding the remediation work are finalized, we anticipate calling an information meeting to discuss progress to date and next steps to complete the project as efficiently as possible.

We are committed to completing the project. We would like to thank everybody who has participated in this project for your contributions.

Together, we will succeed!

As always, we invite anybody wanting more information regarding the status of the project to contact the ARSBC directly.

Sincerely,
Howie Robins
President, ARSBC
Cc: ARSBC Executive

So as we thought, work was going on behind the scenes but with this turning into a political hot potato, things will move slower than we all want. Hopefully more good news to come soon!?

, things will move slower than we all want.?

The ship was supposed to be sunk 5 years ago. I don't think things can get much slower.

What I don't understand is why the ARSBC didn't abandon the current location and go where the locals would recognize the value of an artificial reef. Instead they drained their bank account fighting the Nimbys at Halkett.

Any news on the Annapolis? Last I heard was it was back in court again.

Steve

Last I heard the judge is in the process of making a decision after the three sides presented their arguments almost a week ago.

Hopefully it gets sunk soon.

Steve

No worries Steve. It will likely sink itself soon.

Clandestine mission? I'm up for a bit of a night op. Especially now that I am back in the island actually in Nanaimo again. Might be a bit of a scooter
Dive though.

If your up for a dive let me know.

Steve

... one can only hope the Halkett Bay NIMBY Society gets stuck paying for the ARSBC's legal costs ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom