Anna Maria Island spearfisherman missing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syntaxerrorsix

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Coast Guard searching for missing diver

The U.S. Coast Guard is searching the Gulf for a diver who disappeared about 18 due miles due west of Anna Maria Island.

The man, who has not been identified, was spear fishing with three friends and was due to return to the boat at 10:45 a.m., according to the Coast Guard. The friends called for help when he failed to show at the agreed-upon time.

The four launched their boat earlier today from the ramp at Fort Desoto Park in Pinellas County.

A Coast Guard said they found the man's dive gear floating, but there has been no sign of the diver.

The search is continuing.

About the same story:

Diver missing off Manatee County | 10connects.com | Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater

St. Petersburg, Florida - Coast Guard crews from Pinellas and Manatee counties are searching for a missing diver in the Gulf.

A Coast Guard HH-60 Jayhawk rescue helicopter and two other Coast Guard vessels are searching about 18-miles off Anna Maria Island for 31-year-old Darren Rordan, who failed to return to his boat after diving with friends.

Three other divers returned to the boat when their air tanks were nearly empty, but Rordan didn't make it back.

Coast Guard crews say they have found some of the man's diving gear, but no sign of him. He was reported to be wearing a white dive top.

The group of friends left from Fort De Soto earlier today.

Officials say weather conditions for the search area are 2 to 3 foot seas, 5 to 10 knot winds and 10 mile visibility.

Just heard that a Spearo never came up. Daren Rordam was one of 3 divers that were 18 miles outa Fort Desoto.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard this on the news today also. I can't believe it happened again this year. For the 20 years I have been boating in the Tampa Bay area a diver would be reportd missing about once every other year or so. Now, three divers in four months months. I don't understand. ***! My condolences to the frineds and family of this guy.

The seas were a bit worse than the news article is saying. I tried to go out today from Anclote and turned the boat around near the outer marker as I was seeing rolling white caps further out. I hope they find the guy.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

threads merged...

Just checked for an update. They are still searching.... Wonder what "diving gear" they found?

I was wondering the same thing.

SupraSteve posted a similar accounting in the GreaterTampa Area Conditions thread...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4532200-post155.html

"Went today off Anna Maria Island, three dives, one each at 22, 20, and 17 miles. Viz was 20-25 foot at each spot, coldest temp was 82 F on the bottom out 22 miles, mid-80's at the others.

Bad news however, a boat came up to us and said they had lost a diver about 4 hours beforehand. The coast guard had 2 helicopters and a couple boats out there searching for the diver. Apparently they had found some gear but not the diver, I don't know any more than that. Please keep them all in your thoughts and prayers."

I sent him a pm. Maybe when he logs on again he can tell us what was found. Still hoping it wasn't his rig and he is inflated and floating around somewhere waiting to be rescued...

Back
Top Bottom