Ankle weights......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on_two_wheels

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Why are ankle weights sooooo bad to most divers? I've got about a dime's worth of dives in a whites fusion. The air stays fairly well balanced throughout the suit. However, my feet still wanna ascend. My fins have negative bouyancy. I'm thinking it's my rock boots that are causing it. Quick fix: ankle weights. Given the buoyancy of my feet I don't feel them once in the water and it allow me to trim better head to toe. So why do so many hate them? If my boots are, in fact, causing this, what other options are there? I've moved weight around my torso and as low as possible. No difference.

I think ankle weights have the reputation they do for several reasons, some of them good, and some of them not so good.

They're one more thing to remember to take with you, and they can come off. Those are two definite drawbacks.

If you are using negative fins, ankle weights generally aren't needed -- although those of us diving doubles may occasionally secretly wish that we had some :)

And a lot of the problems people have with balance in a dry suit can be solved with time and practice.

But if ankle weights work for you, use them. As you gain facility with the suit, you may not need them any more.

I've been using ankle weights for my first dive in a drysuit - and my first dive in doubles.
In both cases, I think it made the learning process slightly faster.

In both cases, I removed them 10 minutes before the end of the dive. The difference in kicking effort is noticeable - even with a frog kick.

More energy spent moving weight means less bottom time - to me that's worth spending the extra effort learning to stay in trim without the ankle weights.

So quickly one of the more reputable responders. Thanks!! I realize both points (remembering to take them & that they can come off). However, I can dive without them...it's just draws my attention away from other things, usually more important things. If I have them, it's effortless to stay nice and trim in the water. Certainly the fact that it's possible for them to fall off isn't the only thing.

Effort of moving the weight is going to be minimal since my boots/feet are already positive. Maybe a slight bit more effort to fin. I'd be putting in effort to maintain trim every time I stop to see something or take a pic so air consumption is probably a wash.

Effort of moving the weight is going to be minimal since my boots/feet are already positive. Maybe a slight bit more effort to fin.

Mass versus weight. Even if your feet are perfectly balanced, having to accelerate/decelerate more mass requires more energy than doing the same without the ankle weights.

Try it - I was surprised how much difference it makes.

Mass versus weight. Even if your feet are perfectly balanced, having to accelerate/decelerate more mass requires more energy than doing the same without the ankle weights.

Try it - I was surprised how much difference it makes.

I agreed that there would be SOME increase in effort. However, without them the effort to remain trim when not actively swimming would probably make any increase in gas consumption incredibly minor. So, so far I have yet to hear a reason to absolutely HATE them the way so many do. The mere mention of them sends people running for their soapboxes. :D

..They're one more thing to remember to take with you, and they can come off. Those are two definite drawbacks.

For me, this is the only reason someone may not like them. If your body type/gear configuration makes the use on ankle weights a viable option, slap 'em on and go diving.

When I dive dry and with my video camera they help. Wet or dry without the camera, I don't use them. In any event, I have found many other uses for them at dive sites so I always bring a spare set along. :wink:

For me, this is the only reason someone may not like them. If your body type/gear configuration makes the use on ankle weights a viable option, slap 'em on and go diving.

When I dive dry and with my video camera they help. Wet or dry without the camera, I don't use them. In any event, I have found many other uses for them at dive sites so I always bring a spare set along. :wink:

Thanks!! Even if they fell off, it wouldn't require ending the dive. Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I agreed that there would be SOME increase in effort. However, without them the effort to remain trim when not actively swimming would probably make any increase in gas consumption incredibly minor. So, so far I have yet to hear a reason to absolutely HATE them the way so many do. The mere mention of them sends people running for their soapboxes. :D

Do you dive single tank or doubles ? What fins do you use ?
Even people diving doubles in rock boots and heavy undergarment mange to sort the trim issues. There are other means to solve the trim issues w/o using the ankle weights. Moving 1-2 extra kilos with the legs every kick is quite tiring.

Hi Elan....I'm diving single tank. Either Faber 95 or 120 (both LP). I'm using Hollis F1 fins. When I first started diving I had a brand new suit. I used ankle weights the first few dives and it certainly didn't wear me out. I'm sure over time, just like back then, I'll be able to forego them. I'll use them for the time being. Again, just wondering why people grumble when you pull them out. You'd think you were talking about walking over the reef on the last dive!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom