Ankle Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys-

Im assuming it is a typo and he is really 175. I cannot imagine that anyone would let someone in the water who weighs 75lbs wearing 20 pounds of lead.

Even at 175, 20 lbs. is waaaay too much in a warm pool in Florida. Then again I assuming he is wearing no more than a three mil.

Perhaps I assume way too much.

It's ONE seventy five (175) lbs. 75lbs was a typo. 22 yr old male 5'11" 175lbs

Guys-

Im assuming it is a typo and he is really 175. I cannot imagine that anyone would let someone in the water who weighs 75lbs wearing 20 pounds of lead.

Even at 175, 20 lbs. is waaaay too much in a warm pool in Florida. Then again I assuming he is wearing no more than a three mil.

Perhaps I assume way too much.

I did the rest of my dives wearing 18 lbs. and yes its a 3/2 mil suit..
I was also wearing a Large Cressi BC which seemed a bit too big for me, but the LDS didnt have any medium BCs to let me use at the time..

I did the rest of my dives wearing 18 lbs. and yes its a 3/2 mil suit..
I was also wearing a Large Cressi BC which seemed a bit too big for me, but the LDS didnt have any medium BCs to let me use at the time..

Every person's body is different, so there is no magical formula to determine proper weighting w/o experimenting in the water. However, my experience has shown that a 5'11/175 lbs. male wearing a 3/2 wet suit is grossly overweighted with 18-20 lbs. in his weightbelt/BCD.

A young, in shape person like yourself does NOT need ankle weights- period.

Every person's body is different, so there is no magical formula to determine proper weighting w/o experimenting in the water. However, my experience has shown that a 5'11/175 lbs. male wearing a 3/2 wet suit is grossly overweighted with 18-20 lbs. in his weightbelt/BCD.

I fully agree on all counts.

Agreed.

As a point of reference, I'm 6'5", 260, wearing a 3mm full, 5mm hood, 5mm boots, AL80 tank: I do need 18lbs. And sadly, not all of my 260 lbs is muscle :) So my weighting requirements should be quite a bit more than AceszHigh.

AceszHigh, you are almost certainly overweighted.

Best wishes.

READ the first post. He weighs 175 lbs.

AFTER he edited it :D

Originally it read 75 :wink:

The point remains that it is very likely he is overweighted with 20 lbs of lead when using a 3/2 wetsuit at his stated body size.

Best wishes.

The real point, 75 or 175 pounds, it is a experience/skill/learning bouyancy issue, not a gear selection/configuration issue.

Back
Top Bottom