Ankle weights or Turtle fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmblack58:
My rig is and OMS BP with a 32lbs wing and 16lbs on a weight belt. I've never had any trim problems with floaty feet when I was diving a wetsuit. The problem popped up when I started diving dry.

For the sake of this discussion I'll assume the OMS plate is SS and that you are using a single short tank.

If so, welcome to the club :(

Try an AL plate and add a bit more weight to the belt, but make sure it is low. You want to "balance off" the tank.

CIBDiving are you out there? I feel my nose twitching.

dmblack58:
I agree that improving technique is important but how would Quattros and Ankle weights lead to greater air consumption compared to using Turtle or Jet fins?

Are ankle weights and Quattros that much more negatively buoyant than Turtle or Jet Fins?

Yes. Jets are slightly negative in salt water. They are not nearly as heavy as some would have you believe.

Ankle weights are particularly bad because they will tire you (and increase your air consumption) more quickly. You can correct trim issues with body positioning.

I'm not a physics major so perhaps someone can explain why shifting weight to different area would make me more tired? I'm not adding 3 lbs., I'm just shifting it. What about moving weight from a weight belt or pocket to a camband...more fatigue?

Ankle weights is an attempt to use equipment to correct a problem with technique. It's always better to fix the technique.

I personally would never assume to judge someones diving technique unless I have actually dove with them.:blinking:

Because you are moving lead from a part of your body where they stay put to a part of your body you are constantly moving. You'll move all your weight forward through the water, but in addition, you'll move all the weight on your legs up and down (flutter or scissor) or out and in (frog) with each kick.

No. As long as you put it on a static location, it does not add more effort.

Ann Marie:
I'm not a physics major so perhaps someone can explain why shifting weight to a different area would make me more tired? Does shifting weight from a weight belt to a camband also cause more fatigue? I'm not adding 3 lbs., I'm just shifting it.
I'm not a physics major, either. But, if you put weights around your wrists for a week, you will build muscle strength in your arms because you are forcing your arms to work harder at doing the same daily tasks with the additional weight. Then move the weights to your ankles and your legs will gain strength. As you shift the weight around, you move the workload into different places.

In the water, weight on your torso (assuming proper trim) doesn't add the muscular exercise that it does if it's at your feet - the part of your body that's doing the work.

Ankle weights add extra exertion to the kicks (if you don't believe it, strap ten pounds to each ankle and see what happens). This might be good if you want to build leg strength, but it isn't the best way to fix a trim issue, IMHO.

(edit: Opps. Yeah. What Walter said.)

dmblack58:
I'm new to drysuit diving and I found I have overly buoyant feet. I'm diving a Bare XCD2 Tech suit with Trek Boots and Mares Quattro fins.

I was wondering what people’s thoughts were on either getting some ankle weights to reduce the buoyancy of my feet or should I consider getting some heavier fins like the Turtle fins?

Do you have the vulcanized rubber boots?

Soggy:
Do you have the vulcanized rubber boots?
It does say Trek boots, which are pretty much the same as Rock boots.

We are mostly the usual suspects to comment on this issue everytime it comes up. How's it going gentlemen and lady?

Everything is true! Static vs. constant movement of lead causes an increase in effort and ultimately adds to global warming in the lab. :wink:

In my experience, it does not make a measureable difference to diving. I have made the same dive on the same day with and without ankle weights and there was no measureable change to air consumption or fatigue. Other factors affect air consumption and fatigue more than a small amount of lead. Stress, current, hunting, pictures, etc. will have a noticable affect.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom