Ankle weights or Turtle fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmblack58

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm new to drysuit diving and I found I have overly buoyant feet. I'm diving a Bare XCD2 Tech suit with Trek Boots and Mares Quattro fins.

I was wondering what people’s thoughts were on either getting some ankle weights to reduce the buoyancy of my feet or should I consider getting some heavier fins like the Turtle fins?

Depends really on how much you like your current fins. Ankle weights are certainly less expensive.

I started wearing ankle weights when I started diving dry. I found that it transferred my center of gravity a little and really improved my feeling of control and buoyancy. I now wear ankle weights all the time, wet or dry diving. Of course I can dive without them but actually prefer diving with them.

Turtles (or Jets if they'll fit) are the best choice for fins even if you don't have floaty feet. Ankle weights is an attempt to use equipment to correct a problem with technique. It's always better to fix the technique. Ankle weights are particularly bad because they will tire you (and increase your air consumption) more quickly. You can correct trim issues with body positioning.

I have the XCD2 Tech with Treks and used to have the same problem. I added a little weight to a cam strap and switched to Turtles. Now, I actually allow a little air to migrate to my feet to maintain a good position..... and because I've become that lazy.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Treks are very stretchy and therefore allow alot more air into your feet than you think. You might consider cinching them down a little tighter than normal. I find that once in the water with a little air, everything feels fine and my toes stay warm.

dmblack58:
I'm new to drysuit diving and I found I have overly buoyant feet. I'm diving a Bare XCD2 Tech suit with Trek Boots and Mares Quattro fins.

I was wondering what people’s thoughts were on either getting some ankle weights to reduce the buoyancy of my feet or should I consider getting some heavier fins like the Turtle fins?

Are your feet truly overly bouyant or is your trim off due to being top heavy?

Walter:
Ankle weights are particularly bad because they will tire you (and increase your air consumption) more quickly.

I agree that improving technique is important but how would Quattros and Ankle weights lead to greater air consumption compared to using Turtle or Jet fins?

Are ankle weights and Quattros that much more negatively buoyant than Turtle or Jet Fins?

dmblack58:
I agree that improving technique is important but how would Quattros and Ankle weights lead to greater air consumption compared to using Turtle or Jet fins?

Are ankle weights and Quattros that much more negatively buoyant than Turtle or Jet Fins?

In general, you will find ankle weights to be substantially more negative than Jets / Turtles. That said, I used to use ankle weights and never found myself tiring any quicker or using any more air. I just don't need the weights with my rig configured the way its and it's one less thing to forget.

Try throwing a weight on one of your cam straps. If that doesn't work, put one on an old cam strap and move it toward the bottom of the tank. If you're a tall, you might even try a longer tank or some combination of the above. You'll be surprised.

Green_Manelishi:
Are your feet truly overly bouyant or is your trim off due to being top heavy?

My rig is and OMS BP with a 32lbs wing and 16lbs on a weight belt. I've never had any trim problems with floaty feet when I was diving a wetsuit. The problem popped up when I started diving dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom