Ankle floats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, if you're diving an imbalanced kit, be sure to carrie redundant buoyancy. A sausage, a drysuit or a dual bladder BCD can all be used to keep you safe in case your BCD fails during the dive.

Unless that makes you even MORE negative. That's like having a negative bank account and trying to spend even more.
<sigh>

Complication: Should the diver find herself properly weighted or negative with no additional weight then, obviously, there would be no weight to drop. This is where a novice should alter one's rig to make it safer and more comfortable to dive.
She is trying to dive a gear configuration that is inappropriate for her. Her BC advertises trim-weight pockets, so I would start by trying a different tank. [/OPINION] O&O...

@ lowviz. Instead of just saying I’m diving in the wrong gear.,, how about give some real suggestions. A link to a balanced rig discussion does nothing to help as you will see 5000000 different opinions. Btw, I never said weight that gets me properly weighted.... I said the 3lbs they make me dive with needs to be moved to help with the heavy legs. I have acknowledged even in my original post that I do not need the 3lbs but that I am told I have to dive with it in order to have ditchable weight. I am a newer diver. Absolutely. Did I tell you I’ve already switched shops? First shop without any water testing told me I would dive with 12lbs. As a new diver we go by what we are told by our instructors who we have to trust. My instructor asked me to brainstorm ideas on getting my weights moved or ankle floats. But does insist that I have ditchable weight.

@rjack321 you are more than welcome to come to the lake this weekend and watch me sink. Or anytime you are in KC I will meet you at the pool. In my 7mm semi dry I use 8lbs total.

@The Chairman The rogue does have padding on the shoulder and no the bladder won’t move down. I picked it because it was actually a lot less padding and constrictive than the other available options. I’m not opposed to a backplate and harness but don’t have in person access to anyone that would be able to steer me in the right direction. I kept being told to put my tank higher, but I could attempt lower if the bottom tends to be more floaty.

@wetb4igetinthewater yesterday I tucked a little hotdog weight 1.5 in my sports bra and that worked really well with the aqualung pulse fins. Unfortunately they are slightly negative but the best on buoyancy that was available in my size.

<sigh> BC advertises trim-weight pockets, so I would start by trying a different tank. [/OPINION] O&O...

You can’t tell me to use my trim pockets when you are telling me to dive with the proper weight of zero. Unless you are saying I should put floats in there???

I have also used standard 80s which hit my knees and make me miserable
And super 80s (but those I have to borrow from the shop owner)

I’m not opposed to a backplate and harness but don’t have in person access to anyone that would be able to steer me in the right direction.
I'm not an expert by any means, but I am a DIY bad influence.... regarding back plates, most who use them seem to enjoy that they are negative, and therefore get lead off the belt. But that is contra indicated in your case (you need less overall weight). The rogue, however, seems to have padded shoulders which put the floaty-ness in the worst possible spot for your predicament. Depending on your level of DIY comfort, you might try assembling a plastic plate to take the wing off your Rogue, getting rid of the shoulder pad floaty-ness (and the padding really means nothing in the water), while keeping a neutral plate.
If you want to try that route, you can go anywhere from full blown cheapskate DIY (my boys are diving plates I cut from a $5 cutting board, with salvaged ratchet strap webbing), to buying a basic plastic back pack from piranha ( Plastic Traditional Style Backplate , Piranha Dive Shop | ), and webbing, hardware, and a buckle (piranha has a basic harness, or you could assemble from parts from various suppliers).
With something like that, you could put trim pockets at the peak of your shoulders (on the webbing), which would also be accessible to ditch. I won't get into the discussion of whether the weight you wear is necessary, other than to say if you are reliant on your air cell to be neutral with an empty tank... you need a backup source of lift (as @The Chairman said). But you said you carry a safety sausage, so that is addressed already.
Adjusting a BPW would be easier with the help of someone who is experienced with it, but it isn't rocket surgery... a you tube video or two and a willingness to keep adjusting will get you there!
Respectfully,
James

I'm not an expert by any means, but I am a DIY bad influence.... regarding back plates, most who use them seem to enjoy that they are negative, and therefore get lead off the belt. But that is contra indicated in your case (you need less overall weight). The rogue, however, seems to have padded shoulders which put the floaty-ness in the worst possible spot for your predicament. Depending on your level of DIY comfort, you might try assembling a plastic plate to take the wing off your Rogue, getting rid of the shoulder pad floaty-ness (and the padding really means nothing in the water), while keeping a neutral plate.
If you want to try that route, you can go anywhere from full blown cheapskate DIY (my boys are diving plates I cut from a $5 cutting board, with salvaged ratchet strap webbing), to buying a basic plastic back pack from piranha ( Plastic Traditional Style Backplate , Piranha Dive Shop | ), and webbing, hardware, and a buckle (piranha has a basic harness, or you could assemble from parts from various suppliers).
With something like that, you could put trim pockets at the peak of your shoulders (on the webbing), which would also be accessible to ditch. I won't get into the discussion of whether the weight you wear is necessary, other than to say if you are reliant on your air cell to be neutral with an empty tank... you need a backup source of lift (as @The Chairman said). But you said you carry a safety sausage, so that is addressed already.
Adjusting a BPW would be easier with the help of someone who is experienced with it, but it isn't rocket surgery... a you tube video or two and a willingness to keep adjusting will get you there!
Respectfully,
James

The thing about the rogue is that it breaks down very easily. It comes completely disassembled in the box. The bladder is not permanently attached to the back piece. It’s super easy to assemble and disassemble. It’s just snaps off and on. (Little flat took)
Attaching it to something else.... I am not exactly a DIY. Not sure how that would even go.

The rogue itself does not weigh very much. 7lbs in its current set up. (It’s slightly damp still)
That’s total with weight pockets and bladder cover.
So I would need lighter than that?

The thing about the rogue is that it breaks down very easily. It comes completely disassembled in the box. The bladder is not permanently attached to the back piece. It’s super easy to assemble and disassemble. It’s just snaps off and on. (Little flat took)
Attaching it to something else.... I am not exactly a DIY. Not sure how that would even go.

The rogue itself does not weigh very much. 7lbs in its current set up. (It’s slightly damp still)
In the case of what I was suggesting, the Rogue's weakness is all the padding putting buoyancy high up on your frame, when you need it lower. As for attaching the wing to something else, it would be sandwiched between the plate and the tank. The cam band is run in through the one slot on the wing, through both slots on the plate, and back out the other slot on the wing. Only point of worry is to ensure the inflatable portion of the wing doesn't get sandwiched between the tank and plate (possible to cause a pinch flat). Give me a bit and I can take some pictures if you are interested in trying that route.
Respectfully,
James

In the case of what I was suggesting, the Rogue's weakness is all the padding putting buoyancy high up on your frame
Respectfully,
James

removing the clips off the standard shoulder straps and putting them on something less buoyant.... there is a small amount of back padding as well ... but idk what’s inside

removing the clips off the standard shoulder straps and putting them on something less buoyant.... there is a small amount of back padding as well ... but idk what’s inside
That would be another good solution, and with you being negative buoyant, the bit of buoyancy from the back pad isn't terrible (and is nearer to center of mass).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom