Ankle fatigue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shramp

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I wanted to get some input on fins/how to minimize ankle fatigue/pain during dives. I've been diving for a few years and have been really enjoying going on SCUBA trips. However, oftentimes after 2-3 days of diving the tendons by the top of where my ankles connect to my feet get very, very sore to the point where it's hard to flutter kick. Other than switching to frog kicks, I'm thinking about buying a new pair of fins (perhaps less stiff/powerful) that alleviates some of the ankle stress. Ideally it'd be some fins that's gentle on the ankles, works for both types of kicks and somewhat conducive to traveling (though that's a bit less of a concern). I'd appreciate any recommendations/thoughts, and any other suggestions on how to deal with this annoyance. Thanks!

if the fins are less efficient, read less stiff/powerful, then you have to kick more often, which may lead to other issues.

best way is to actually get in a pool and practice kicking with fins as part of your cardio workout

Are they closed foot or open foot with boots? The boots protect from direct pressure on your instep. Those scuba pro jet sport are long fins, so there is more leverage against your instep as well. Plus I read in reviews that others find they run large, so the plastic may be hitting in the wrong place. The suggestions of getting in shape usually come up if your calf muscle is sore/ getting cramps, but tendons on top of your foot, it is more likely a poor fit for you. Maybe rent other types of fins/ boots and see if a different style works better.

Technique can make a difference too. When I first used paddle fins my knee tendons would get sore from kicking too hard. Once I learned to make a smoother stroke the issues went away.

Are you flexing and pointing your feet to drive the motion or is your kick originating from your upper legs and hips? Could
be technique? I don't really move my ankles at all if I flutter kick and find I would move them more in frog kick

Have you looked into force fins? While expensive they use different muscle groups and the fin doesnt hang of the end of your foot like traditional fins so less stress on your ankles. I love my excellerating force fins and really looking forward to getting my hands on their hockey fins when they go back into production.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom