Animals behaving badly (tell your stories)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mauifish:
Yes, I noticed the rock also, was she showing the rock or the blood? Might need a counterweight to get bouyancy corrected with that many carrots on one hand!!

Maybe it was a 'lone shark' and he was going after the diamond and just got the wrong hand? :rofl3:

How about divers behaving badly... like me. I droped down on my third dive today and immediately saw a mantis shrimp out in the open. In 38 years of diving out here off Catalina, I've never seen a mantis shrimp in the open when I had a camera. I started filming and filming and filming! I stayed with the mantis shrimp for 46 of the 50 minutes of this dive, even though my video light battery had died after 30 min. I only left it after I ran out of tape.

Now it was moving much of the time. Why? It probably thought I was a predator. I am sure it was a bit stressed even though I never made any sudden moves towards it or tried to touch it (are you kidding?). However I "had" to get the footage for my collection even if it meant stressing the critter a bit. Shame on me.

drbill:
How about divers behaving badly... like me. I droped down on my third dive today and immediately saw a mantis shrimp out in the open. In 38 years of diving out here off Catalina, I've never seen a mantis shrimp in the open when I had a camera. I started filming and filming and filming! I stayed with the mantis shrimp for 46 of the 50 minutes of this dive, even though my video light battery had died after 30 min. I only left it after I ran out of tape.

Now it was moving much of the time. Why? It probably thought I was a predator. I am sure it was a bit stressed even though I never made any sudden moves towards it or tried to touch it (are you kidding?). However I "had" to get the footage for my collection even if it meant stressing the critter a bit. Shame on me.

Forgive yourself DrBill, that mantis shrimp saw you coming and was begging to be filmed by you, I guess living so close to Hollywood has an effect on sealife:wink:

drbill:

could be worse... could of captured the footage underwater then made it into a nice single shrimp cocktail.

...and then the Mantis shrimp handed Dr. Bill a script!

By the way, Dr. Bill, saw you photos of the senorita and kelpfish in the March California Diving News. Nice behavior. Were those stills from a movie?

David

I call this guy Sean Penn, because of his dislike for underwater paparazzi. I was taking several photos of him and he must have gotten tired of my DS-125 flashing in his eye. He decided to take matters into his own hands - or tentacles, as it was. He reached out and grabbed my housing with six of his arms. I'm sure my lens port was under his mantle, right where I might have taken a photo of his mouth - but I couldn't take a photo. The tip of one of those arms was hold down the zoom button on my Oly, so I couldn't actuate the shutter. Although he wasn't particularly large, he pulled with amazing strength, trying to remove my camera from my hands. I pulled harder and he let go when he was about to be totally removed from his crevice. I then let the poor fella rest in peace.

David

CommonOctopus.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom