Anilao or Dumaguete/Dauin (early February)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makhno

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi, some buddies and I are thinking about doing some muck diving but haven't decided where to go yet. After many trips to the Philippines, I've still never been to either Anilao or Dumaguete/Dauin.

Which location is best for critters and macro photography? (We will probably go in early February, if that matters.)

I've seen some old posts with opinions on which has better diving, but I'd like to hear from others, and also get the most up-to-date information.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I fell in love with muck in Dauin quite a few years ago. Sadly one of its best sites the ducomi pier was shut down after that.
Anilao is rated the best macro in the PI for a reason, it has great diversity and desnsity of critters. If I could only choose 1 I'd go with Anilao.

Agree with the oracle above , AKA Dirtfarmer, above. Both are fantastic locations , Dumaguete is good for moving onto other great diving areas and Apo is wonderful. However my favorite would also be Anilao. But in February the water will be chilly ...an Arctic like 25 degrees in Anilao. It should be a few degrees warmer in Dumaguete.

Please don't hate us....but....we are going to Sri Lanka for a week and then the Maldives for two weeks on a LOB to celebrate 25 years together and 20 years of marriage in December. Then in February I am off to Lembeh and Gangga. Then in May we are going to Kalimaya on Sumbawa Island on Komodo.

Please don't hate us....but....we are going to Sri Lanka for a week and then the Maldives for two weeks on a LOB to celebrate 25 years together and 20 years of marriage in December. Then in February I am off to Lembeh and Gangga. Then in May we are going to Kalimaya on Sumbawa Island on Komodo.
Oh no hate here.
Awesome!
Kalimaya looks nice and there's some really great macro off Sumbawa. Now I need a budget resort in the area.
My best wishes to Peter and you, and congrats to you for 25 years. Are you going to get him a silver plated Pink Floyd t-shirt?

Thanks...how come you don't have a trip planned ?

Thanks...how come you don't have a trip planned ?

Early on it was the excuse that I spent a bunch of $ on our beautiful new deck. Then I wasn't feeling that inspired.
Then it became that the farm crew this year wasn't able to run the place while I'm gone. Probably still stands, but in a few weeks things will slow down and simplify for them so I can probably break away for a short time, if the toenail I just half lifted off this morning heals up fast. It's been years since I haven't had a trip in November and though the wife likes me here I may start to drive here crazy.
I may just hop on down to Cozumel for a bit. And maybe set up a trip in January to
Indo or the PI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom