Angled DIN Valves...Good,Bad or Ugly???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info guys. The only reason I asked about the Genesis DIN valves and manifold is because of the apparent quality of their yoke valves which are the nicest looking yokes I have seen or used and I was considering purchasing their manifold and valves to switch over to DIN for that reason. It had nothing to do with them being angled. I just wanted to know if that was a bad thing since no other manufacturer makes them that way. If any of you have ever seen their yoke valves they are much nicer than the others in my opinion. Apparently though their manifold and DIN valves may not be of the same quality.

Now, does anyone want to buy two old yoke valve ISO manifolds that are in good shape? I have never seen another yoke valve ISO manifold besides the two I have.

Another factor to consider is aerothermodynamic performance.

Any time you change the flow direction, you are going to get heating, and the greater the angle, the more substantial the heating.

From that perspective, the best valve would let the gas straight up out of the cylinder. For whatever reason, though, SCUBA valve builders generally throw a 90° turn at the end.

Oxygen + hydrocarbons + heating = combustion. If you are worried about that, cut down on the hard turns your air makes.

BlackWood originally posted...
Oxygen + hydrocarbons + heating = combustion. If you are worried about that, cut down on the hard turns your air makes.

While diving how could a valve possibly get hot enough to cause combustion?????

Hipshot:
While diving how could a valve possibly get hot enough to cause combustion?????

It probably wouldn't, but there is filling to consider.

I have the Genesis angled DIN on my cylinder. Nice valve, no problems.

Angled DIN valves are easier to deform from an impact. Like a tank sliding in your trunk and hitting something with the valve.

It doesn't take much to turn the opening into enough of an egg shape to be useless, and it takes less than you'd think.

Which is why you should use stainless (not plastic) DIN plugs, anyway.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom