Anemone Data help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwbyron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So it appears that the Plumous anemone (Metridium farcemin) is starting to spawn, I need ya'lls help in finding out the spawning period for it's cousin(M. senile). It looks just like M. farcimen, but will be smaller, more colorfull, found in shallower water (less then 30') and will be in groups that look identical to it. If I can get reports from ya'll anytime you see either species spawning, it would increadibly helpfull. I need to know:
Date, time, water temperature, location, and depth. If you can get a few pictures or video, that would be superb! Email the info to me at Kwbyron@hotmail.com with Anemones in the subject line.
THANKS!
-Kevin
M. senile
DSC00038.jpg

M. farcimen and senile, farcimen is on the left, senile on the right with an expanded fighting tenticle.
DSC00049.jpg

Kevin did you take those pics? You're getting better. I'll help you go looking for them @ mukilteo if you want..

Jake

How do you know if they're spawning (she says, revealing her ignorance . . . )

The photos were shot from the dock at anacortes marina..I mean, yeah, I did those...I really am getting good....
When they are spawning they close down and the gametes will be expelled through thier mouth. Sperm will be thin and "watery", Eggs will be encased in mucus. A local diver shot some good video at three tree north, here is the youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUVofejfNNw

So you long-time local divers, has anyone noticed an increase in the populations of the smaller plumous anemone locally? Speciffically maybe pushing out clusters of farcimen (giant plumous anemone) in shallower waters? Descriptions by some dock owners has me toying with the concept of senile being an invasive species....

Back
Top Bottom