And the next new worst idea for diving. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you consider safety, yes it's a ****ty idea..

However, this dude created an automatic self refilling spare air. Imagine if this got scaled up to a full size scuba tank that was self refilling on the surface. I applaud his innovation, and think overall it's a cool gadget.

kinda reminds me of a story I heard about Spare Air systems getting sold in sporting goods stores in Japan. They got the nickname 'Jap Killers' as a result.

Nine years ago, the Irish designer completed a scuba diving course ...

Really???

The device can take in enough air for two minutes of diving and takes approximately the same amount of time to be refilled.

So then what? Swim back to the beach for a fill? I can get pretty deep in two minutes.

Um...

What he has not yet done is test the device on a diver, fully submerged for two minutes.

So... yeah.

And this is two minutes at what depth? I foresee people diving straight down, running out of gas quickly, and picking up a nice AGE on the way back to the surface.

Last edited:
Yep. This is far worse. The day I let an automated computer control my dive will be NEVER. I was a programmer analyst/software engineer for nearly 40 years and I know how bad an idea that would be. That said, the gimmic in the OP is a close second. If it was really inexpensive it might jump to first because casual users might buy it. At $400+ - not so much.

Or we could mate the two and have the computer pump "2 minutes of compressed air" into user's lungs in response to changes in outside pressure. Two minutes should quite sufficient to darwinate anyone stupid enough to actually use it. I'm sure there must be a downside to that...

As unnecessary as this should be, I actually can see it as a good thing for ”resort divers” with crappy skills to keep them off the fragile reefs...

How is it going to keep them off the reef? It doesn't sense proximity to a solid object. They can still swim into anything they don't pay attention to. I saw a woman on Bonaire with no buoyancy problems swim directly through not one, but two huge bryozan/soft coral and didn't even know it.

I would have liked to Darwinize her.

I quite like it. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom