And Now Stupid Diving News!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I think people are going overboard on the Cameron Diaz story.

First of all, comparing the grouper to a Volkswagen is a literary concept that has been called hyperbole for thousands of years. It is exaggeration to create an effect. The speaker never intends that the listener is going to believe it to be an actual attempt at an accurate description.

Next, signalling that you should pet it can be easily accomplished by pointing at it and making a petting motion.

Finally, notice that the word "oxygen" is in parentheses. That means she didn't actually say it. Whoever wrote the transcript added it in the theory that it was making things more clear.

I saw a very large grouper off Key Largo at the City of Washington dive site, but it was not as big as Volkswagon- closer to smart car size, somewhere between a smart car and a Vespa. It was probably in the 350 to 400 pound range. A local diver on the boat that day swears he had a grouper suck a camera right out of his hand on a dive. I recall a piece on TV a few years ago where a very long haired anglo free diver had his arm sucked in by a grouper and struggled to get free. Does anyone else remember that?? Or the guy's name?
DivemasterDennis

Ive never seen a grouper larger than, maybe a 5-yearold kid :/
Napoleon wrasse however I have seen bigger than a large diver.

I HAVE seen other fish that by FAR outgrow a beetle though.
Infact Ive seen fish thats more like the size of a bus - then again it was called a whale shark :D

Cameron was diving with Kirstie Alley, so I dunno.

You mean like this guy? He is around 400 lbs

Picture014.jpg

I have heard "stories" about small women divers being inhaled by very large Jew fish in Florida so that happening doesn't really suprise me. The fact that she sounds like the a kid telling a "my fish was bigger than your fish" story tells me that she doesn't know a thing about Goliath Groupers. She is a pretty tall girl that could probably inhale a whale, I mean get inhaled by a whale but not a grouper. Biting her hand could be possible. Anyway, sounds like she had a good time.

I have heard "stories" about small women divers being inhaled by very large Jew fish in Florida so that happening doesn't really suprise me. The fact that she sounds like the a kid telling a "my fish was bigger than your fish" story tells me that she doesn't know a thing about Goliath Groupers. She is a pretty tall girl that could probably inhale a whale, I mean get inhaled by a whale but not a grouper. Biting her hand could be possible. Anyway, sounds like she had a good time.

I'm not sure of your point here. Could you explain further? You use both the terms jewfish and goliath grouper, and I am not clear on whether you are talking about two different fish or the same fish.

A guy at work this week was bragging about catching bream last week as big as a van. When I made fun of that statement, he pointed out that he said they were as big as his hand. Life is more interesting when you don't hear well..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom