And I thought I was getting burnt out...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe it was also all the nitrogen loading in my system that was getting me so tired.

<snip>

My question is, what do you do to keep from being burnt out?

Doing that many cold water dives in a single day, you may be experiencing symptoms of sub-clinical DCS.

Cold water, strenuous exercise, multiple ascents, all of that can add up. I'd recommend cutting back some on your dives per day and to look into Nitrox if you're not already using it.

When I did my rescue course I felt totally wiped after my first pool session. Made me second guess my college path.
Same thing happened when I did my scientific certification. Totally burnt out after the second day, and we still had 14 more days of 8am-6pm sessions filled with pool, lectures, and ocean.

Long story short, I had some pretty amazing people around me to keep my spirits up. And when it was all said and done, I had the Basic OW class to make me feel better.
I just get so happy TA-ing for the basic classes at UCSC.

I think you just need to find a release from all the diving. For me it's TA-ing the basic sessions.
Maybe you just need to grab a tank and lie underneath the kelp bed at monastery. Or watch the rain trickle into the ocean at Breakwater. Or stalk a jelly fish. :D

BTW, I'm sure if I had a dry suit I'd be more inclined to do 6 dives ;D

Six dives a day? You better have drunk a fair number of Red Bulls to accomplish this. After two dives, I'm quite tired and ready to call it a day. Now that I have a drysuit, I can actually make full use of my tank!

Just remember, scuba diving is about having fun and enjoying the sight seeing. If you don't feel like diving, then just stay topside and enjoy a cold/warm beverage. I wonder if it's easier doing more than two dives if you're on a boat?

Claude

Six dives a day? You better have drunk a fair number of Red Bulls to accomplish this. After two dives, I'm quite tired and ready to call it a day. Now that I have a drysuit, I can actually make full use of my tank!

Just remember, scuba diving is about having fun and enjoying the sight seeing. If you don't feel like diving, then just stay topside and enjoy a cold/warm beverage. I wonder if it's easier doing more than two dives if you're on a boat?

Claude

Wow, this coming from Claude? You could run circles around me cuz you're so frickin in shape! Back at Monastery I was huffing and puffing to and from the beach and you didn't even seem to breathe heavy!

I think much can be attributed to zeal. I was like this when I first started photography - I was pretty much a pack mule and would carry tons of gear everywhere in the mountains, in the desert, whatever because I was so damn zealous and had infinity energy as a result. Now I'm considerably more chilled out and plan my trips to carry less weight, or even leave the camera behind...

Diving's starting to get that way, as far as weight is concerned anyway.

Fuzzy,

I was bit by the diving bug in 2007 and would do up to 4 dives in a wetsuit, yes a wetsuit (Monterey/Carmel)... This was with my diving buddy that got me into diving... Soon the dives went to three, and then just 2 dives and I was too cold to repeat a third...

Then I got the drysuit and it's two nice comfortable dives... Hoping to do what lynn talks about; one long one in doubles presumbly and then a shorter relaxed one in afternoon.

Waiting to use the p-valve,,, :)

Most I've dived is 4 in one day and that is no easy feat. These days I'm a long bottom time, but lower number kind of guy. While some buds may rack up two 45 minute dives, I'll do a single 2+ hour dive (provided the depth permits it) for just pure recreational dives.

On boats, obviously I'm doing whatever everyone else is doing, more or less. But I find I often sit the 4th dive out these days (even in a drysuit). I don't feel the compelling need to be in the water every hour of the day.

But most importantly, the best thing to keep me going is the company, not necessarily the diving.

Yeah,

Diving multiple dives is co-dependant on your partner and the environment. Last dove I did at Lobos I had to be asked a couple of times if I wanted to dive the 2nd dive. The environment was a little tough and the rain was comming down.

I felt a little cold since I didn't inflate my suit with argon prior to entering the first dive. The end result was feeling the cold water brush against my body, although the first dive went smooth my core body temp was brought down.

So as a result I was cold during my surface interval and very reluctant to hop back into for the second dive. I pondered around as my buddy just kept quiet and let me decide.

Soon after soom Jack Links beef jerkey and a quick gulp of Pepsi, I was zipping up my drysuit and back into the water for dive two.

And it was this dive that was more spectacular than the first one, go figure.

I'm no doctor but this does seem semi dangerous, especially if you are going deep. I don't know your dive profiles but I would imagine a lot of quick on and off gassing in one day has to be hard on your body.

If I were to do six dives in a day, and somehow didn't get too cold or tired it would take in excess of twelve hours (and assuming I'd make due with 60 min surface intervals after each dive). I'd imagine it would be a great weight loss program though. Hopefully you are keeping hydrated though, all the dry air and scubacise would certainly dehydrat you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom