And another Intova tray...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is my solution for a tray for an intova camera. I shoot an IC14 and use it for both stills and video. The tray, like others, is aluminum bar, and I added a strip of plastic to provide a non-slip base. The two DIY light housings each hold a commercial 36 LED array and I placed them on sectioned arms that allow full up-and-down as well as horizontal movement. Simple, cheap, and versatile. The arms are also capable of being re-positioned so that the lights are lower, or toward the center, or even mixed for whatever shot is needed. PICT0395.jpgPICT0397.jpg

Nice. You use wireless or do you plug in some fiber somewhere? I was thinking of something similar but making slots in the vertical arms so the lights can be moved up and down as necessary. (I have no idea if that's really likely but it makes intuitive sense to me.) I like the ability to rotate the light heads without the need to have a "twistable" arm.

Those are my video lights. I used standard commercial 36-led arrays (about $25 each array, from Amazon). They put out about 600 lumens at 5600K and seem to have a really good run time. The light is extremely even and bright, with no noticeable vignetting. Both are rechargeable, but one has a removeable battery and the other does not (I'm experimenting with which style I like best). The only modification I made was to wire in a magnetic reed switch so that I could turn them on and off without boring a hole in the housings. They are triggered with a magnet mounted in a slide on the outside of the housing. As for the housings themselves, they are 3 inch PVC end caps with an acrylic faceplate, routered to accept a buna o-ring. The plate is secured with three spring latches.
I will confess, however, that I have yet to get this entire rig underwater, so I cannot in all honesty vouch for the lights' effectiveness. All I can say is it SHOULD work! lol We shall see...

Guba, thanks for the reply. It sounds like you did your homework and I would like to see the photos once you test it underwater. thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom