Anchor Dive Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixtor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

Does anyone know Anchor Dive Lights? Their name is unfortunately common enough so it's hard to find anything relevant on Google. Based on what I can see on their website, they seem pretty nice and I might be able to get one at a good price, but I am confused that they don't appear in any reviews or forums that I have searched.

This is the light that I'm talking about:
Video 5k 120° Wide | Anchor Dive Lights - Video, Canister and Handheld Scuba Dive Lights

and I don't know what to choose between it and a Light-for-me 3XML ( Video lights )

On one side I like that Anchor has more output power (5000 versus 3600 lumen) and the battery seems to be user-replaceable. I think that the 3XML battery is not user-replaceable, but I'm not sure. On the other side, the 3XML has twist power on/power off, while the Anchor has a magnetic button, which I find more likely to break up.

I plan to use it for filming with a Sony X1000V.

Hello,
i have never heard nor used anchor dive lights but from experience i can tell you that if it's too good to be true it probably is.
Doing a quick google search on various forums you can see that the light output from the cree leds is false.
i have found that with dive/photo/video lights staying with a reputable manufacturer is usually the best bet.
And with that amount of money you can get a high end light from several of them.

The Bike Light Database's Review of the Generic Cree U2 Generic Light

Is the 2x CREE XM-L U2 = 5000 lumens?

just my 2 cents.
William

On the other side, the L-f-m 3XML has 3*XML-II LEDs, while this one has 4*XML U2 LEDs. My LED knowledge is very limited, so I'm not sure whether XML-II is the same with XML-U2 or not (because if they are the same, it would be one supplementary LED). Now.. I'm not sure if one more LED means guaranteed more light or not (I see there's some kind of metallic mirror behind the Anchor, while the LFM version has no mirror behind, the electronic motherboard is in plain sight).

Also, should I trust a magnetic on/off switch, or should I stay with the traditional twist version? Until now I only had twist versions from Greenforce and Tillytec.

Personally i prefer magnetic switches, but that is soley a personal preference. They won't turn on by themselves at depth and can be used with one hand. As of yet i have never had one failed, i even have one made by lola in the czech republic that i clipped onto my bcd 7 years ago and its still there.
I myself am no led expert either, im more of a photographer that a videographer and use leds for focus lights and the occasional gopro video. Currently i use a fantasea radiant pro 2500 that i am very happy with. I got it last year ans have about 50 dives on it. It perfect. I also use a fix neo 2000 swr that is probably the best light i have ever owned. The reason i dont trust unknown manufacturer is because hundreds of them have popped up all over the web selling dive/video lights on the cheap. They claim lumens like they were peanuts and from personal experience and a couple of my buddys they dont live up to the hype. That being said, if you like these anchor lights they do offer a 2 year warranty from what i can see, so why not??

Back
Top Bottom