Anchor caught up in kelp.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmcdanie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As I raised my anchor this weekend, 35Lbs Delta with 200ft of chain on a power Windlass, the windlass basicly stopped when the anchor reached the surface as it tried to pull up a hugh clump of kelp the anchor got tangled in. We were able to get enough of the kelp off the anchor with the boat hook, after about 5mins of poking at it, to completely raise the anchor and cut the rest off by hand.

Does anyone have any special tricks for avoiding this situation or getting kelp clear of the anchor when it is being raised?

Thanks

Kelp floats. Sometimes you can drop your anchor about 10-20 feet, wait for a few minutes and the kelp will free itself. I try to always move my anchor at the beginning of each dive to the sand or an area where I can pull it up freely.

We were just on the edge of the kelp line, too close. I'll be sure to give more clearance next time. Thanks to your book, we had a great dive. I'm looking forward to going back soon to other locations around PV.

Best way is avoidance. I've had my share of pulling anchors up by hand, only to be foiled by the kelp. At least you had a winch.
In a jam, we've dropped a skin diver in the water to hold back the top layer of kelp while the anchor is hoisted.
Sometimes they have to swim pretty far.

When you start your dive, i've always sent a buddy pair down the anchor rode to make sure it is set. So, as you make sure your anchor is set right, make sure the anchor is not fouled in kelp to begin with. IF nothing else, it will give youthe peace of mind that your boat will not drag anchor while you are i nthe drink. IF you do get snagged while weighing anchor, MaxBottomtime's suggestion works....or in a pinch, G1138's idea works.

Certainly have had this problem before... many times. Anchoring in deeper water avoids this (kelp is depth limited due to light penetration for the tiny young plants before they develop surface canopies). Of course that requires longer anchor lines and surface swims, but it avoids the hassle of hauling up anchors that have harvested kelp. Besides, technically it is illegal to take more than 10 lbs of wet weight of kelp per person per day and that requires a fishing license. Written slightly tongue-in-cheek!

I've pulled up a lot of kelp in California (Catalina like Dr. Bill) & Alaska. Depends on where you go to dive, but I've found no way to avoid it dependent upon where we/I anchor. A long boat hook like you had is helpful and a knife. It's never gotten so bad that I thought of making a flensing knife like in the olden days of whale butchering!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom