Analyzing tanks for CO?

What percentage of the time do you analyze you tanks for CO?

• 100% (or close I realize no one is perfect)

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • 75-99%

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • 50-74%

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • 25-49%

• 1-24%

• never

Votes: 30 50.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had my CooTwo about 6 months. All tanks analyzed have read 0 or 1. Except this one. The max on the CooTwo is 30 ppm by the way.

the 30ppm, is that the max reading it will display?

t
Gotten interested in this issue recently. Got a bunch of bad smelling tanks from LDS a few months back. They made that good and put in a new compressor. I asked the guy working there if anyone asks about the cleanliness of the air, and if it's CO monitored....never. Like a lot of shops they are right near a busy road that can get idling traffic during rush hour. He's new to that shop, not to the industry.
I have also taken a bigger interest in this, I analyze my tanks for O2, but seeing a few instance recently local where divers have had contaiminated tanks and the fact that two of my childeren are diving now, well just the thought of someone getting injured or worse due to not spending afew bucks and taking a few minutes to analyze a tank is not acceptable to me. Sure I should have been analyzing for myself but much different though process when it comes to ones own family.

Also thanks for everyones input keep it coming.

the 30ppm, is that the max reading it will display?

It is my understanding that 30 ppm is the highest number the CO analyzer will display. I had never seen anything higher than a 3 (in the kitchen next to a gas stove that was on) so I looked it up when I got the "Too High" reading.

I'd be more curious to know how often CO is found.

My LDS normally has 1 - 2 ppm CO in his air according to my COOTwo; he's next to a congested road. An alternate source (which I've only used once) had 0. When I was in Cozumel, the tanks were always 0. The air in the boat read as high as 10ppm due to the diesel exhaust blowing back inside the covered area.

My LDS normally has 1 - 2 ppm CO in his air according to my COOTwo; he's next to a congested road. An alternate source (which I've only used once) had 0. When I was in Cozumel, the tanks were always 0. The air in the boat read as high as 10ppm due to the diesel exhaust blowing back inside the covered area.
Assuming that your analyzer is correct then 1-2 ppm means that your LDS isn't changing his filters, it doesn't matter what environment is around him. There should never be CO present in a scuba tank.

When I see stats like this, I often wonder what percentage of the diver population are SB members and active SB participants? I suspect the percentage in minuscule because I have never see anyone (except me) analyze their air on any dive boat, anywhere in the world. However, I am not claiming to have dived everywhere in the world, so perhaps my perspective is not correct.

Interesting note: I dove tonight. Myself and one other diver had gotten fills at one local shop, and the third diver had gotten fills at a different shop. Mine and the other diver that got fills at the same shop both registered 1ppm and I thought perhaps my cootwo was reading incorrectly as I do trust their fill station. 3rd divers tank then read 0ppm and I went back to my tank and sure enough 1ppm for CO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom