Analox Sensor Saver Plug??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...//... I don't recall seeing anywhere where it said that sealing it off makes it last longer. Just that low humidity tends to dry them out quicker. One would think that if sealing it off works, then the manufacturers would recommend it... ...//....
One more post.

A quoted lifetime of one year in 21% O2 is downgraded to 1/5 of a year in 100% O2. Linear. Does it not stand to reason that an environment of lower than 21% would upgrade the sensor's life?

As for the humidity, from now on I'll exhale into the bag and fog it up before I flood it with dry argon. I'll think of you when I do it...

Not sure. I do know that high relative humidity will interfere with readings. This is worth reading: Understanding Oxygen Sensors • ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE • byPaul Raymaekers

I also know that ultra low relative humidity will slowly remove water from the electrolyte by diffusion across the thin membrane.

So I would expect that maximum life would be seen with a sensor stored in an inert atmosphere and at a relative humidity that would provide diffusion of water into the electrolyte at the same rate that water diffuses out. But now I'm guessing. Hellooooo Experts???

I just spoke with an expert, I'm not at liberty to mention his company.

Oxygen, temperature, and desiccation of the electrolyte are the top three variables that determine the lifetime of a cell.

So, I'm now fogging up the storage bag, purging it with dry argon, and keeping it in the refrigerator. Anything more than that is nuts...

I'm now fogging up the storage bag, purging it with dry argon, and keeping it in the refrigerator.
With my background¹, I'd say that you've covered the important factors.

¹ Not working in the O2 sensor industry, but having the education to understand quite a bit about how those sensors actually work

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom