Analox Sensor Saver Plug??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cr.padlo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just recently bought my nitrox analyzer, an Analox E2II. Ive seen sensor savor plugs online. Are they worth the investment? Or does it not really provide that much protection? I have the Pelican Case and the Dome adaptor on it. Is that good enough or do you recommend the sensor savor plug?

The white plug should have come with it. You should use the plug whenever you aren't using the analyzer to test O2% to prolong the sensor life (it will last a LOT longer with the white plug installed).

I have always wondered how much longer the sensor will last when you use the white plug consistently versus if you simply store the analyzer in a closed Pelican case - especially if you fill the Pelican case with foam to reduce the extra air that would be closed up inside it.

I have a Pelican case for mine. I used some spray foam insulation to make it a custom fit for my analyzer, so it doesn't rattle around in there.

And I keep the white plug in the analyzer, inside the case, when I'm between dive trips. I've had my analyzer for about 2 years now and it was the shop's display model when I bought it. I checked its sensor about a week ago by testing some 100% O2 and it still reads 99.9%, so I reckon the sensor is well over 2 years old now and still good to go.

I have an ATA PRO Trimix Analyser, and the oxygen sensor is still fine after 4 years. I always ensure tht its cleared of oxygen and only has air inside, then I cap off the inlet and outlet ports so they are sealed. Seems to have extended the life of the sensor.

The big thing to check though is for full calibration and not just air. As the sensor fails the upper measuring limit falls, that is to say if its in a bad way, you might measure 100% oxygen but it might only show 60%. The only way to ensure that they are still operating in the full range is to calibrate occasionally on air then 100% oxygen. If it shows 98-100% then its still working but if its limited to say 70% then time for a new sensor. It can be quite dangerous if it measures say an 80 mix as 50Nx, so keep this in mind.

To analyze the gas it uses an electrochemical sensor. That's a big word but really means a chemical reaction happens with the reaction with the gas which is interpreted with the voltage output and gives us a reading in % o2 rather than volts.

To save the sensor and keep it airtight you can stop the sensor being able to react with o2. You can do this with either an airtight case or with a sensor saver. So if you have a case like stuart with a seal there is no point.

I personally don't bother using them though. The sensor will still last a couple of years without generally. And I can live with that. You're better off putting it in a watertight box as you will kill the sensor more quickly with water or moisture than with exposure to o2.

Thanks!! Once my next paycheck comes in I'm going to go buy one...and/or a case...

A small sidetrack: My Analox came with the white plug, but the O-ring on the plug broke after a fairly short time. Without the O-ring, the plug of course won't seal properly, so I don't think there's much of a point using it. Does anyone know where I can find the dimensions of the O-ring, and whether it's easy or difficult to find?

A small sidetrack: My Analox came with the white plug, but the O-ring on the plug broke after a fairly short time. Without the O-ring, the plug of course won't seal properly, so I don't think there's much of a point using it. Does anyone know where I can find the dimensions of the O-ring, and whether it's easy or difficult to find?

Measure the corresponding O-ring on the green half dome port?

Measure the corresponding O-ring on the green half dome port?
There's no O-ring on the yellow dome.

There's no O-ring on the yellow dome.

Oh. Weird. My Analox has a green dome that plugs into the hole where the white plug lives between uses. I guess I was just assuming that it has an O-ring on it just like the sensor saver does.

Back
Top Bottom