• I use analog SPG and Air-Integrated Computer

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • I use analog SPG and Air-Integrated HOSELESS Computer

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • I do not own Air-Integrated Computer

Votes: 19 44.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lemonade

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know that quite a few divers who own Air-Integrated computers find it’s to be crucial to have analog Depth and Pressure Gauges as a back up.

I would like to hear some more opinions on that.

For those who dive without analog instruments: would you still do so if you computer were hoseless?

Regards.

I dive a hoseless AI computer, (love it and will not change). Since I dive exclusively doubles, I have a SPG on each tank. (This is for back up in case I ever have to shut down one reg due to a problem.)

PS Thought I was posting a reply to this post, but somehow started a new thread.

Right now I only have an air-integrated computer, and am very happy with it. But... at some point in the future, I may add a standard spg. (And a wrist computer or dive watch, for redundancy of depth/time)

I dive with a Cobra (air integrated). If it were to die, I'd surface. I don't have a redundant pressure gauge (but I do have a second, non-air integrated computer, a Stinger).

Hmm...good question. I've been sitting here for the last five minutes trying to remember why I wanted to add an SPG. I'm drawing a blank. Obviously, it's not that high on my list of future purchases. I guess I was thinking ahead to when I switch to a hoseless computer; but, then you could still ask, "why bother?" I agree that if the computer dies, you're aborting the dive. I guess I was thinking the computer might inacurately display the amount of gas left, so you don't realize it's on the fritz. I just like the idea of redundancy.

Abort the dive because your computer failed???

Humm.. what if your at 130' inside a 100' ship that sank 90 years ago? Would you still know the square root of 256?

You can't really abort the dive... a backup SPG AND Depth guage are a MUST in my opinion.

The old theory "Two is One and One is None"

One of the keys to safe diving (especially any diving that is even close to "technical") is redundancy.

Always have a backup - and have your dive planned before getting into the water.

Just my opinion and you know what they say about those :wink:

The digital watch brakes, so you'r late for dinner.
The car digital fuel gauge goes on a fritz, so you roll to the side of the road.
The pc crashes so you read a book.
The air integrated dive computer goes blank, well.........
Toys are nice and I have two or three, but I would not dive without direct pressure pushing the needle.

It makes a big difference on what type of dive I am going to do. I have done about 50% of my dives using only an air-integrated hose less computer and felt completely safe in doing so. and will do this type of dive (all dives planned within no decompression limits in a non overhead environment) with this setup again. I have had a problem with a computer in this type of dive. Even having this problem I still will dive this setup for this dive. I do however have an alternate timing device with me on every dive.

On the other hand if I am doing a planned decompression dive I take 2 air-integrated computers (one hose less one hose), back up SPG, 2 backup timing device, a written plan of deco times with alternate times for an unexpected extended bottom time, plus manual deco tables.

It depends on the type of diving you are planning to do. I do not think I have ever heard of anyone being injured during a dive solely from having backup instrumentation on a dive so it cannot hurt to have. Is it necessary? In some circumstances yes in others I do not feel it is required.

Dive safe and often!

Tom

I believe backups are the way to go no matter what type of diving your doing. At the moment I don't use an SPG but I am in transition on my setup. Currently I have 2 AI computers: 1 hose and 1 hoseless.

I plan on replacing the hose computer with analog guages (pressure and depth) and a non AI computer (along with keeping my dive watch and tables of coarse.) I think this is the best of both worlds. My AI is also capable of being used as a non AI or guage mode which can be real handy for tech dives. I admit to being a 'gadget' person but not to the point of being totally dependent on the 'gadget', I want to finish the dive I started!

:mean:

Why bother? So what if it dies while you are on the bottom. If your computer dies, you are going to abort. If I am aborting, does it matter how mush air I have left? I am already aborting.

OMG, what if my mask flies off! Then I won't be able to SEE either guage! (Sarcasm added for effect)
Short of bringing a dive shop down with you, you can't back up EVERYTHING that might break. I don't think that the average REC diver needs to be so redundant, unless they are in the overhead or in another special situation that requires more self-sufficiency than the average 60 to 100 foot drift dive.

Back
Top Bottom