Anal-retentive o-ring lubricating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrySuitDave

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Angeles, where the debris meets the sea
Colleagues,

I wanted to ask your opinions on a few things related to o-rings.

Allow me to preface my question with the following observations. I have run into some who state that o-rings must be religiously cleaned of all foreign debris. I watched one CCR user use q-tips to clean the o-rings of the hoses to the point of wetting the q-tips to hold down on the fine cotton fibers that can eject themselves, them observe some of the fibers attach to the o-rings and then remove those.

On another site, it is recommended that the scrubber cannister o-ring be re-lubricated ostensibly upon each scrubber repacking. On that note, I have seen a ccr with every o-ring heavily silicone lubricated to the point where there was excess silicone grease all over the inside of the scrubber bore. On that not, I have seen many refer to it as silicon, which is completely different from silicone.

Anyway, before I digress, the whole purpose of o-rings is to make up for surface imperfections and manufacturing dimensional differences. Lubricating an o-ring does not really make it a better sealer, it merely potentially prolongs its life by potentially keeping its surface supple longer. One can rapidly assess the condition of a substantial o-ring by running its surface between one's fingers, and o-rings.

Take an o-ring on a male DIN valve as in a 1st stage. In 30 years I have never had one faill to seal, and I have let these things go 5, 6 7 years. I have o-rings on my BC, some of my gear and drysuit that have not been replaced in 20 years. They still seal perfectly.

A drawback with silicone or florocarbon based greases are they hold debris. As to my habits, I do not lubricate o-rings ever and I would change them before they would start to harden.

Anyway, what are your thoughts and your o-ring checking/lubricating practices other then negative and positive loop pressure checks?

Whenever I disturb an O ring on my yellow box, it is LIGHTLY regreased prior to re-insertion. This serves several purposes

a) Running fingers around O ring allows assesment of the condition of O rings surface
b) Light grease allows easier insertion of the O ring. Hose coupling rings on the YBOD have a habit of rotationg out of their housing rings if not lubed
c) Keeps O ring suple
d) Allows O ring to move easier against its sealing surfaces (important on Scrubber ring)

I use the appropriate grease for the O2 content the O ring is sealing. My scrubber O rings gets O2 safe grease

The reason the Scrubber O ring needs lube is to allow it to slide rather than rotate when it moves on the scrubber wall. If it rotates it can easily twist out of a sealing position (there have been some amazing pictures of the positions it can get to if dry

There are pictures on my web site of how to regrease an O ring.

The negatives, yes grease is sticky and can attract contaminants, and it takes extra time and materials

Pro, suple, conditioned rings that glide with movement rather than twist

I have to agree with M2. I too am a believer in lubing o rings, (but just a little is a lot!). I do believe that some grease does actually help them to seal better. Case in point: Once a buddy had an air spool, (SPG swivel), that began leaking at a considerable rate. We were about 70 miles from home for a full day of diving with no replacement o rings to fit his console. I took the air spool out, greased the o rings, and the leak stopped. Not only did it stop but it got no further attention until almost a year later!
I DO agree with you that some folks overkill and oftentimes too much grease far worse than no grease. It is a dirt and sand magnet. I HAVE read that certain o rings on particular models of older rebreathers should not be lubricated as they tend to extrude because of a less-than-perfect design. (This is corrected in the newer models)
Static o rings do not need nearly the attention that sliding (pistons) o rings or rotating (swivel) o rings need.
"Just a little is a lot". Just my opinion.
Norm

Back
Top Bottom