Anacapa Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 12 yo daughter (PADI jr scuba diver) and I (OW) are looking at raptor or Spectre 2/24 and 2/25. I was under the understanding she would need a professional diving with us but have heard that she can just go with me. However, being that we have never dove California and both have less than 10 dives, I at minimum want a buddy. Guides seem to be $150-$250 per day. Anyone know if we Are required to have a guide?
Not a requirement, but given your dive experience and the age of your daughter, it would be a good idea to hire a dive guide for your comfort. I will say this also, regarding the 2 boats and I only bring it up because of the age and probable size/stature of your daughter. Entry off of the Raptor is a giant stride off of the back of the open transom. Just step and fall all of 3 inches. The Spectre is about a 6 foot drop to the water. Can be intimidating for some. There is the option to walk backwards with all of your gear on down a very steep ladder to the back of the boat and giant stride from the stern. This is where you will also come back on to the boat after the dive and climb back up that steep ladder. Just something to consider. Unfortunately, I will be away the weekend of the 24th and 25th. Otherwise, I would have suggested that you request me as your dive guide on the Raptor (if you choose to go that route). If you do go with the Raptor, and want a dive guide, see if Tom Chronister or JT are available.

Nelle. I agree with Trailboss. Hiring a guide with your limited experience and the fact that you are new to California diving, it might not be a bad idea. Its kind of unfair to a instabuddy to expect them to look after you and doing so may cause resentment. Besides, the buddy you get may be in the same situation as you.

I would not recommend Spectre for new divers, especially those that may require extra time gearing up or getting out of the water. In my experience Spectre rushes people to move to as many spots as possible in one day. Some people don't mind rushed diving but I have had a couple of bad experiences on boats that do with new divers, albeit some time ago.

For my money Anacapa diving is some of the best diving around, but I am biased.

My 12 yo daughter (PADI jr scuba diver) and I (OW) are looking at raptor or Spectre 2/24 and 2/25. I was under the understanding she would need a professional diving with us but have heard that she can just go with me. However, being that we have never dove California and both have less than 10 dives, I at minimum want a buddy. Guides seem to be $150-$250 per day. Anyone know if we Are required to have a guide?

Have you or your daughter dove cold water before? Are you capable at diving in dry suits, or do you anticipate wearing wet suits, hoods & gloves? Do you have a pretty good idea what weight each of you will need for salt water diving in that level of exposure protection (with buoyancy to overcome)?

Hiring the professional to come along sounds like a great idea. Apologies if there's more to your preparedness than is evident from your post; I can just imagine an overweighted 12 year old in heavy wetsuit get-up accidentally overweighted hitting cold water for the 1st time from a long giant stride in lower viz. water than she's used to and...well, it could get complicated.

Richard.

FYI, in warm water (77-82F), I wear 3mm full wetsuit & 12lbs dive weight. In cold water (59-68F), I wear 7mm full wetsuit with 3mm hood & 16lbs dive weight. So, make sure you do a first checkout dive for the right weight you would need for the dive.

this was what I was talking about a few pages back about guides being expensive. From what I have read thus far, you just need a buddy, and the boats are just like water taxis that take you to the island and let you dive and whatnot. I'm doing the raptor this weekend, can't wait to get out of freezing oklahoma and under that california sun!!

Others suggest it, but I would say if you have never dove in California cold water, you are bringing your 12 yr old daughter and both have less than 10 dives, then having a guide is a mandatory requirement. Cold water, low viz, no time to test weighting, diving from a boat, boat you don't know, etc and less than 10 dives means still in the I don't know what I don't know stage. It would be the difference between a "had several problems with this and that screwing up my dive" and "minimal problems and we had a good time"

I don’t think it’s that complicated.
I love the Spectre out of Ventura. They go pretty much to Anacapa exclusively. They’re a great day boat.
The fare is the fare, no extras except for the tip, which I always stuff a $20 in the jar.
They do a lot of OW classes off that boat, which I absolutely don’t mind. I just go off and do my thing. Most of those people have never been in a wetsuit or in the ocean before or off a boat, and they all do fine and have a ball! Don’t worry about it.
Almost everybody on board is in wetsuits. Mostly I see one piece back zip 7mils with hooded vests, that seems to be pretty normal for Socal, and of course 3 mil gloves and booties.
Just figure out your weighting so they know how much to set you up with. With the above suit and a regular jacket BC and an aluminum 80 probably about 26 to 28 lbs. of added weight for an average adult? For the kid a lot less.
Have a great time!
The weather is perfect right now, in Norcal we’ve had 80’s!
The ocean has been great up here, I can only imagine how great it is down on the California Riviera.

It’s worth mentioning those OW class folks are presumably students under the care and observation of one or more dive professionals.

A buddy is just that; a buddy, and expects you to be one, too.

Richard.

Thanks so much for the info! I get a lot of resistance to my daughter diving so it is nice to hear caution but not “you can’t do it!”. I will be hiring a guide which makes me feel more comfortable too and doesn’t burden another diver. We are used to lakes with 6ft visibility but not 50-60* water so a little hand holding would be welcome. Shasta_man, Totally agree with the don’t know what we don’t know! Lol

Have you considered going to the dive park at Avalon, Catalina Island for day one instead of the boat? You can hire a guide from the local dive shops, make two great dives and then spend some time seeing the attractions on the island. It is a great start to Socal diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom