Anacapa Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmmm..... that may or may not just be the dive shop trying to squeeze some money out of me lol. I can see on the actual peace boat website the $140 price you guys are talking about. Maybe the dive shop is charging more for gear rental and guide? idk
Ask them to break it down. For a guide it makes sense (you have to buy the guide's fare). If you don't need a give or rental, you only need pay the boat fare.

Remember California boat trips are like taxis.

I was checking the site and a trip to Talcott Shoals is $155, probably because it is further out than Anacappa. A tip is all I would be expecting to pay, and I've been out with them quite a few times.

A shop chartering the boat can charge anything they want, but at that rate there would be a lot of spots open.

Bob

Diving at Anacapa is awesome. I dive there regularly. You have 4 options to get out there on weekends from Ventura harbor. Spectre also runs on Fridays and the Raptor is running a couple Fridays in April.

Peace- which you already know about
Spectre- Scuba dive trips, snorkeling and gear rental off California's Channel Islands
Raptor- Scheduled Raptor Dive Trip Calendar
Explorer- Explorer Diving Aventures - Home Page
(although, I am not sure what's happening with the Explorer- the boat is up for sale and it doesn't seem to be going out much lately)

The extra $300 must be for gear rental and a dedicated dive guide? Definitely look into that and get a breakdown. Diving is pretty easy and straightforward at Anacapa. I would not hire a dedicated dive guide, unless you really feel a need for it. All of these boats will give a thorough dive sight briefing. You will almost certainly find someone to buddy up with. I know the Raptor will make sure you have someone to buddy up with, if you make your need known. If you do decide to look into the Raptor, their price already includes tanks, so you will be saving some money there. They do 2 tank and 3 tank dives, depending on the day, so you will need to check the dates and see. They are $120 for 2 tank days and $130 for 3 tank days. Most weekends in April are 3 tank. See the link above. Also, the Raptor is owned and operated by Ventura Dive and Sport. They are the only full service dive shop in the area and the shop is steps away from the boat. Your gear rental will likely be much less expensive with them and you have the advantage of going into the shop and trying everything on to make sure it fits properly.

Lastly, here are some recent pics and a short video from Anacapa:
upload_2018-1-24_9-36-22.png

upload_2018-1-24_9-37-1.png

upload_2018-1-24_9-38-12.png

Geez, thanks everyone for the extremely helpful advice, and the awesome pics! I think I'm gonna book the Raptor and do the boat dives on 2/24 and 2/25 if anyone is wanting to tag along. I am a solo traveler, as none of my friends dive, so I will need a dive buddy!

Geez, thanks everyone for the extremely helpful advice, and the awesome pics! I think I'm gonna book the Raptor and do the boat dives on 2/24 and 2/25 if anyone is wanting to tag along. I am a solo traveler, as none of my friends dive, so I will need a dive buddy!
Looks like I will be up in Portland that weekend on business, unfortunately. Otherwise, I would join you. You will be well taken care of. Enjoy and let me know how it went or if I can do anything else to help you out. Let the shop know that Greg Bruce recommended them to you.

Looks like I will be up in Portland that weekend on business, unfortunately. Otherwise, I would join you. You will be well taken care of. Enjoy and let me know how it went or if I can do anything else to help you out. Let the shop know that Greg Bruce recommended them to you.
eh I'm kinda goin back and forth between that and the dates of 3/17 and 3/18. Basically I'm trying to cram as much diving into a weekend as possible so I miss as little work as possible, no paid vacation days is the double edged sword to being self employed haha

eh I'm kinda goin back and forth between that and the dates of 3/17 and 3/18. Basically I'm trying to cram as much diving into a weekend as possible so I miss as little work as possible, no paid vacation days is the double edged sword to being self employed haha
OK- Keep me posted. There is a good likelihood that I will be on the Raptor that weekend. At least one of those two days.

The Raptor provides the tanks (Faber LP85) as they don't have a compressor on board. Also check if its 3 tanks or 2 on the Raptor (Spectre and Peace are typically 3 tank day rips). Food on the Raptor is pre-made sandwiches and salad only iirc.

Just let the DM at check-in know that you would like to find a buddy, No worries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom