An Open Letter of Personal Perspective to the Diving Industry by NetDoc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What standards do you know are being violated? Are those standards being addressed in the questionnaire?
I said I am sure standards are being violated. I also said I have not seen it. That means I don't KNOW what standards are being violated.
I have watched an OW instructor take a class of about eight 12 to 14 y/o students on a swim through the house of a 40+ foot houseboat in a lake with visibility in the 5 to 10 foot range. My impression is that it was not the first or last time it happened. Is that a violation? What do you think could be done about things like that?
If that was an OW class, then it was a stndards violation. What should be done about it? Simple. You saw it. Report it.

I have watched an OW instructor take a class of about eight 12 to 14 y/o students on a swim through the house of a 40+ foot houseboat in a lake with visibility in the 5 to 10 foot range. My impression is that it was not the first or last time it happened. Is that a violation? What do you think could be done about things like that?
I suspect the students thought this was great and would have said the class was great on an eval. Based on your much greater experience in diving and understanding of the risks did YOU think this was unsafe and reasonable likely to lead to "bad things" happening? If so, what did you do about it?

I suspect the students thought this was great and would have said the class was great on an eval. Based on your much greater experience in diving and understanding of the risks did YOU think this was unsafe and reasonable likely to lead to "bad things" happening? If so, what did you do about it?

A survey that just asks vague questions like that is not very valuable. The survey will ask specific questions about how the class was run using specific wording from the standards. I have not seen it, but I would not be surprised to find it asking if the class was conducted in an overhead environment, which is a clear violation.

About 10 years ago, when I was still a DM assisting classes, the instructor for which I assisted most often on OW dives had to deal with a bad response on a survey. In response to a question, a student had written that the CESA had been conducted without the use of an ascent line, which is a standards violation. The student was wrong. All ascents were always done from a platform suspended from four floats. Each student was taken up the line to the float, exactly as required by standards. PADI investigated and was satisfied with his response.

I tried to call the agency's scuba violation hotline. Their number was unlisted.

In my 3rd year of diving, long before I ever considered becoming a professional, I reported a terrible standards violation I witnessed. I was diving in Fiji, and for two days of diving our group was accompanied by a young man who was clearly not very experienced. He went through his air quickly, at which point the DM sent him to the surface on his own while the rest of us completed the dives. On the second day, he did not do the second dive because he partook too heavily of the hot dogs provided for lunch during the surface interval and did not feel well. When we got back to the shop, I saw him meeting with someone briefly and then coming back with certification documents. I asked him about it, and he said that the person he had just met with was his instructor. He was really happy because the instructor had counted the four dives over those two days--one of which he had not done--as his certification dives. He had done no skills during those dives, and his instructor was not even present.

As soon as I got home, I wrote to PADI and described what I had seen. I got a letter back promptly thanking me for the report and promising that the incident would be properly investigated and handled appropriately.

If you did see a standards violation such was was described, here is the PADI Quality Management web site. You will not only be given the email address you can use for the process, you will get a link to the course evaluation surveys in case you want to see what they say.

---------- Post added December 24th, 2014 at 11:35 AM ----------

I tried to call the agency's scuba violation hotline. Their number was unlisted.

QM@padi.com

If you want to phone it in, you call the main number and ask to be transferred:
800 729 7234 (US and Canada)

Main PADI website - Contact Us:

PADI QA Screen shot 1.jpgPADI QA Screen shot 2.jpg

Wasn't too hard to find.

As the web page shows - feel free to report anything you wish. Notice it states "not-so-great experiences".

"On the other hand, when members deviate from standards, the Quality Management Program acts to get them back on track. You may also share a not-so-great experiences with an email to QM@padi.com."

Thanks.

For those who have not seen the PADI OW questionnaire:

Course Evaluation Questionnaire
YesNoN/A
Does the Instructor’s name on your certification card match the name of the person who conducted your last open water training dive? (If you do not have your card yet, please check with your PADI Instructor, Dive Center or Resort.)
Did you complete your course as a referral student? (That is, did you begin your training at one location with one instructor, and finish at another location with a different instructor?)
Did you fill out a Medical Questionnaire before any in-water training? (This is a list of questions about any medical conditions you have or had at the start of the course.)
Did you have your own PADI Open Water Diver Manual (or the Multimedia CD-Rom or access through the PADI Open Water Diver Course Online) for study and use during the course, and for reference after the course?
Did you have your own Recreational Dive Planner (Table or eRDPML) or How to Use and Choose Dive Computer Manual for study and use during the course, and for reference after the course?
Did a PADI Instructor test your theory knowledge by writing OR oral quizzes and a final exam (or Quick Review if you completed the PADI Open Water Diver Course Online)?
Did you learn how to use the Recreational Dive Planner (either the eRDPML or Table version) or Dive Computer?
Did you first learn and practice water skills in a pool or confined water? (Confined water is a site that offers calm conditions, for example, a protected area in a lake or ocean.)
At some point prior to certification, did you complete a:
• 200 metre/yard non-stop surface swim OR a 300 metre/yard swim with mask, snorkel and fins?
• 10-minute swim/float?
During your pool/confined water skills development sessions, did you practice:
Equalizing your ears and mask?
Finding/locating your regulator and clearing it of water?
Breathing underwater without a mask?
Removing, replacing and clearing your mask of water?
Buoyancy Control (such as hovering)?
Out of air/low on air emergency exercises?
Disconnecting the hose from your BCD while in the water?
Did you complete at least four separate scuba training dives in open water (ocean, quarry, lake, etc.) during your course?
Did you make the open water training dives on at least two different days?
Did your first two open water training dives take place between 5 metres (minimum) and 12 metres (maximum) or 15 feet (minimum) and 40 feet (maximum)?
Did your last two open water training dives take place between 5 metres (minimum) and 18 metres(maximum) or 15 feet (minimum) and 60 feet (maximum)?
Did a PADI Instructor observe and evaluate your skills underwater during the open water training dives?
During your open water training dives, did you do the following skills:
Remove and replace your mask underwater?
Compass navigation at the surface and underwater?
Buoyancy control? (such as hovering)
Remove and replace your weights or weight system at the surface?
Alternate air source (such as an octopus) ascent?
Perform a Tired Diver Tow?
Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent (CESA)? (This skill is a simulated out-of-air ascent where you and your instructor ascend to the surface together next to a line while you exhale [making an “ahh” sound] all the way to the surface).
If you made a controlled emergency swimming ascent did your instructor do
the following:
Hold onto you?
Use an ascent/control line (for example an anchor line)? (If you were looking up and did not see if the instructor was using a line or not, please choose “unsure.&#8221:wink:
Ascend with you all the way to the surface?
Upon reaching the surface, did your instructor ask you to either orally inflate your BCD or drop your weights?
If you have any comments, please write them below:

Thanks.

For those who have not seen the PADI OW questionnaire:

YesNoN/A
Does the Instructor’s name on your certification card match the name of the person who conducted your last open water training dive? (If you do not have your card yet, please check with your PADI Instructor, Dive Center or Resort.)
Did you complete your course as a referral student? (That is, did you begin your training at one location with one instructor, and finish at another location with a different instructor?)
Did you fill out a Medical Questionnaire before any in-water training? (This is a list of questions about any medical conditions you have or had at the start of the course.)
Did you have your own PADI Open Water Diver Manual (or the Multimedia CD-Rom or access through the PADI Open Water Diver Course Online) for study and use during the course, and for reference after the course?
Did you have your own Recreational Dive Planner (Table or eRDPML) or How to Use and Choose Dive Computer Manual for study and use during the course, and for reference after the course?
Did a PADI Instructor test your theory knowledge by writing OR oral quizzes and a final exam (or Quick Review if you completed the PADI Open Water Diver Course Online)?
Did you learn how to use the Recreational Dive Planner (either the eRDPML or Table version) or Dive Computer?
Did you first learn and practice water skills in a pool or confined water? (Confined water is a site that offers calm conditions, for example, a protected area in a lake or ocean.)
At some point prior to certification, did you complete a:
• 200 metre/yard non-stop surface swim OR a 300 metre/yard swim with mask, snorkel and fins?
• 10-minute swim/float?
During your pool/confined water skills development sessions, did you practice:
Equalizing your ears and mask?
Finding/locating your regulator and clearing it of water?
Breathing underwater without a mask?
Removing, replacing and clearing your mask of water?
Buoyancy Control (such as hovering)?
Out of air/low on air emergency exercises?
Disconnecting the hose from your BCD while in the water?
Did you complete at least four separate scuba training dives in open water (ocean, quarry, lake, etc.) during your course?
Did you make the open water training dives on at least two different days?
Did your first two open water training dives take place between 5 metres (minimum) and 12 metres (maximum) or 15 feet (minimum) and 40 feet (maximum)?
Did your last two open water training dives take place between 5 metres (minimum) and 18 metres(maximum) or 15 feet (minimum) and 60 feet (maximum)?
Did a PADI Instructor observe and evaluate your skills underwater during the open water training dives?
During your open water training dives, did you do the following skills:
Remove and replace your mask underwater?
Compass navigation at the surface and underwater?
Buoyancy control? (such as hovering)
Remove and replace your weights or weight system at the surface?
Alternate air source (such as an octopus) ascent?
Perform a Tired Diver Tow?
Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent (CESA)? (This skill is a simulated out-of-air ascent where you and your instructor ascend to the surface together next to a line while you exhale [making an “ahh” sound] all the way to the surface).
If you made a controlled emergency swimming ascent did your instructor do
the following:
Hold onto you?
Use an ascent/control line (for example an anchor line)? (If you were looking up and did not see if the instructor was using a line or not, please choose “unsure.&#8221:wink:
Ascend with you all the way to the surface?
Upon reaching the surface, did your instructor ask you to either orally inflate your BCD or drop your weights?

I'm impressed. Are you?

I'm impressed. Are you?

Very much so. Particularly in light of the other versions including DSD. I have not yet figured a way to see the DSD version yet. Perhaps someone else can help. Did these things exist 2 years ago? In any event, they have the potential to be quite effective.

Turned out to be much easier to get to than I had thought. The agency is clearly not trying to hide these things. The agency is clearly headed down the right road.

YesNoN/A
Did you enjoy your PADI Discover Scuba Diving (DSD) experience? (Please feel free to leave any additional comments below).
Before The Dive
1.Did you complete a PADI Discover Scuba Diving brochure, including the Medical History Questionnaire?
2. If you answered “yes” to any medical questions on that form, were you required to obtain written medical approval from a doctor before any in-water activities?
3. Did you complete the Knowledge and Safety Review in the brochure?
4. Did a PADI Professional give a brief explanation of the following (Choose
all that apply):
a.The diving equipment you would be using?
b. How to equalize the pressure in your ears and mask?
c. How to breathe underwater on scuba?
d. How to clear water from your regulator mouthpiece?
e. How to clear water from your mask?
f. How to inflate and deflate your BCD at the surface?
g. The importance of watching and staying close to the instructor?
During The Dive
5. Where did you dive?(Choose all that apply)
a. Swimming pool
b. Ocean, lake or other body of water
6. Which of any skills did you practise in water shallow enough to stand
up (choose all that apply):
a. Breathing underwater?
b. Clear water from your regulator mouthpeice?
c. Find and replace your regulator mouthpiece?
d. Clear water from your mask?
e. Equalize your ears?
f. Inflate and deflate your BCD at the surface?
7. How many other people were with you (excluding PADI Professionals)?
(Choose only one)
a. Three or fewer
b. More than three
8. How many PADI Professionals were in the water with you during your scuba
dive? (Choose only one)
a. One
b. Two or more
9. Answer this question only if you made a scuba dive outside the pool:
How deep did you go during the dive?
12 metres/40 feet or less.
Please feel free to add any comments about your experience.

EDIT: I have seen a number of surveys in other fields that did open a door for comments but were primarily designed to fish for at-a-boys. These surveys seem to put most of the questions directly on the issue of standards compliance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps you should have placed your original post in the instructor only forum so ignorant divers would not have the opportunity to get involved. Or did you intend for us to just listen and believe?
Then you would never begin to understand your ignorance. I have no problems with you questioning or making the most obtuse recommendations. You've done both and several have responded to them, indicating just why they won't work. You don't get it. It's OK to not get it. I'm telling you why you don't get it. Fortunately, most of the people, many of whom are not instructors, do get it. Some didn't and now they do. Here's hoping you do as well... someday. :D

Sheriff vs police (vs peer or victim) enforcement is a semantic difference. Why are you so resistant to enforcing standards?
Bear vs shark (vs prey or victim) is also a semantic difference. Doctor vs Surgeon is also a semantic difference. They fill entirely different LEO niches and as I pointed out, the difference can be felt in the community.

What's happening now: violators get reported (caught) and punished.
What you're recommending: Big Brother looking over my shoulder.

It's a huge, huge difference in my eyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom