An issue with mask clearing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I completed my open water certification course about 7-8 months ago. Since that time I've only done one further open water dive. I was invited to go on a one day dive trip this weekend and so I decided that prior to going on that trip I would take a refresher course.

So last night while practicing mask clearing in the pool I has an issue. Now, I had no issue with the mask clearing methods in which the mask is not completely removed from the head, but in practicing the method where the mask is taken completely off and then put back on I noticed I had an issue. While breathing with my mask off I noticed I had a tendency to get water in my nose; I suppose that even though I am breathing out of my mouth via the regulator, I have a tendency to want to intake some small amount of air in my nose as well, thus resulting in the water in my nose (this is needless to say unpleasant and I would like to fix this problem).

Now, that being said, I was able to complete these mask clearings successfully, but I do not feel entirely comfortable with them. Anyone else have this problem? Can anyone give me some suggestions to help solve this issue (I'm going to go back to the pool one more time for practice before going out, so I'll try and implement any suggestions then).

Thanks.

Yes, I can sympathize. The first time i did the mask clear all i did was suck in water through my nose it was not pleasant!! As we kept practicing i had a tendency to start to suck in small amounts of water through my nose, but i found a solution that helped me. When i do the clear whether it be with the mask on or off completely i close my eyes and go slowly. Think about what you are doing and don't try to rush the clear. I found that being nervous was what was causing me to suck in water. If i closed my eyes and though through every step and kept thinking about what i was going to do before i did it (including breathing) i had no problem. This was my instructors recommendation and it helped.

Basically just go slow and invision every step in your head including breathing and see if that helps you at all. If you think about not breathing through your nose usually you can control it atleast for me.

You can try a couple of things; 1st, in a pool stand up in the shallow end with no mask and a snorkle, then lower your face into the water breathing through the snorkle. Any problems, just stand up. That will get you used to breathing underwater with your nose exposed. Another trick is to take your mask off (with the reg in your mouth) in a pool and immediately pinch your nose shut with your fingers, breathe for a minute or so and release your nose. If you get nervous, just pinch your nose again. Again, I'd try this in a shallow pool so you can always just stand up.

When you take your mask off wait a couple of seconds then breathe in a relaxed manner. The more we have problems with drills the more angst ridden we tend to get. When a student or one taking a refresher is having problems with a skill we tend to keep trying over and over. A suggestion is to take a break from it and practice something else for awhile. Then get back to it. Chances are you have given yourself a chance to relax by being away from it for awhile. I think you will do better with it after the break...Take as many breaks as you need to. It will eventually come to you. Also...It helps some students to vizualize they have a cold and stopped up nose...

Which direction are you looking while the mask is off your face?

If you are looking up or out disturbances from the regulator create a pressure differential plus the bubbles from the last exhale will travel up towards you nasal passages.

Try looking slightly downwards while the mask is off your face. Once back on begin clearing while still looking down and arc your head in an upwards motion towards the surface.

Swallow before your breath, dont swallow as you breath but swallow just before you do. Its is not possible to breath in through your nose and swallow at the same time so it may help you to close nose before your next breath.

I have the same problem: breathing in through the nose. In fact, if you do that constantly it could create mask equalization problems at depth unless you constantly exhale through the nose to compensate.

You can try and learn not to breathe in your nose. When you pinch your nose and breathe in/out you should, initially, hear the movement of the air (similar to someone having trouble getting enough air). If you continue breathing this way but remove your hand from your nose, you will find that you no longer move any air through your nose. At this point, you can relax your throat a little bit so that your breathing is quiet again, yet you won't be drawing any air through your nose. Voila!

At least that's how it works for me but it's worth a try.

Lets first face the fact that sooner or latter if you dive with any frequency your mask will get kicked off or otherwise either flooded or knocked off your head. That's a fact of diving life hence the required skill. Life will not give the oportunity to make it a quick partial flood that you have braced yourself for.

Second, as long as you have air to breathe everything else is just an inconvenience. Make sure the regulator is still in place and begin breathing. This by it's self can be very reassuring. The first breaths may be ragged and that's OK, just breathe. Exhaling all or partially though your nose is fine and should solve the flooding nose problem. Spending some pool time sans mask will also go along way in removing stress from these moments. Practice is your friend here.

Even spending time skin-diving in open water or a pool between dives will train you for sustained oral breathing and the nose inhalation should fade from your behavior since you will only be sucking on a vacuum.

Pete

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. I had time to get another pool practice session in this evening and took advantage of it. I tried out a number of the strategies that you all suggested.

After a few more mask clearing practice runs I came quite clearly to the conclusion that the water getting into my nose resulted not from my inhaling without the mask on, but from the bubbles released from my 2nd stage during exhalation. I found, although that when my mask is off if I exhale through my nose (at least in part) that the problem is largely solved. Thanks everyone!

To feel a small quantity of water in the nose is normal, if you do not feel it is actively coming up.
While I have noe problem with it, and no difficulty clearing the mask, I find it slightly unpleasant in a (fresh water) swimming pool, while I am completely indifferent to it in the sea.

My nose do not like chlorine. Neither do my eyes; I usually close my eyes for mask clearing in a fresh water swimming pool. I open my eyes in the sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom