An experiment with water.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wristshot:
Kim, if you have access to a sewing machine, could you stitch 1x3 sections of the diapers (nappy) and then cut them out? That might keep them together without relying on the tape. Do the edges just need to be held together (like with stitches) or do you need to contain things (like with the tape)?

Just trying to learn and understand,

Wristshot
That might work. It just has to be strong enough at the edges so that the gel doesn't get forced out as it expands. It does expand a lot!

quimby:
Hey Kim I thought that youngan would be in college by now....
Anyway that might be something like psyllium husk, it absorbs something like 100x its weight in water and gels as you mentioned and is used as a dietary suppliment and as a thickener in foods. Just thought Id add and harass
I have no real idea what the stuff is - I just presume it must be safe as they use it for babies.
As to the kids - the oldest has left college (23) - the two youngest are just starting out (3 & 1)! Make of it what you will!! :cheers:

I have no real idea what the stuff is - I just presume it must be safe as they use it for babies.

The psyllium youll find in the drugstore under "Metamucil" . Interesting stuff and always thought it would be usefull for something, just never thought of where you found it and what you are trying to do.

Make of it what you will!!
Boy when you and your dive partner take a break you mean it, 20yrs, you've got more courage than me.

Don't get the two purposes confused. Dessicant packs are designed to absorb moisture, as in humidity. Condensation is just the humidity in the camera coming together to form larger droplets. If these droplets get large enough, it can cause small rivulets of water to drip down the inside of your housing. If these droplets come in contact with your digital camera, it does the same damage as a flood! The dessicant packs will not absorb these droplets. That's what the mini-pad will do.

Your first concern needs to be eliminating the condensation. It's caused by the heat buildup inside the housing reacting to cooler temeratures outside the housing. The moisture in the air inside the housing will condense. Setting up your rig in a cool, dry room, ie. A/C room, will help. (Although I don't always get an A/C room and I haven't noriced a big difference.) Making sure you don't leave your rig sitting in the sun, the inside will heat up just like your car does with the windows rolled up. Rinse buckets on boats, being shallow, can absorb heat from the sun too so if you leave your camera there, it's heating up. Keeping your rig wrapped in a wet towel be tween dives will not only keep it out of the damaging rinse bucket, the evaporation will keep it cool.

Set up your housing with 1 or 2 small dessicant packs, turn your camera off when you won't be using it for several minutes or longer at a time, protect it on the surface and you shouldn't have any more problems.

BTW, smaller housings, like the Canons, heat up quicker than the larger ones, like the Ikelite.

Back
Top Bottom