An evolution in diving style - beyond BP/W, ultralight sidemount rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey come to CSSP on the 12th I'll be there with and extra SM set up and I'll do a dive with you and help you out I'm just glad your back in the water.

Rick

Rick,

Glad to hear and see you are going the TDI route according to your SB bio! :) I think you will be happy with the format and opportunities. AK

Some hose routing pics

on the left, 30" Miflex hose with a 90 degree elbow, passes around the back of the neck and is bungied just like back mount

route.jpg

Right side, long hose stuffed in hose retainers then back up and routed around the back of my neck just like back mount, I use an omni swivel on the long hose, deployment is the same, only you pull it out of the retainers after hand off. To re stuff just remove cylinder and put the hose back into its retainer bands and put the tank back on, easy.

right2.jpg

Dont' forget the golden rule, long hose is always last so it doesn't get trapped

This is great information.

How do you handle the LP inflator hose if it is still over the left shoulder?
In the past I have had problems with making that connection when in the water.
Part of my problem was the tank connection was too sloppy (hanging) and the hose was too short.

I like your son as your model. That's a nice touch.

Later, Andrew

These pics are for diving the super simple aluminum rig, there is no inflator hose.

I'll post some pics of how I do it when I dive steel soon as I dig them out

Nomad/Steels with inflator over left shoulder

Short LP inflator comes up from the LEFT cylinder, up past the attachment point then loops back down and I use surgical tubing to keep everything in place.

This prevents the LP inflator form doing the "inflators gone wild" and sticking out front, to the side, and generally everywhere back mounted inflators don't go. by doing this it rides exaclty like it does when I dive back mount.

I attach it first then I just stuff the hose into the surgical tubing

IMG_0098.jpg

Drysuit comes from right cylinder

I don't have a picture handy of the reg setup for this, but on the left side your LP hose for your reg should be closest to your body, then the LP inflator for your BC should be the next hole out, if you get it backwards it makes for a super hose mess

I have a second one of these put together for someone to test drive and try out.

AND

I tried taking a drill to the 3lbs lead weights to shave some weight, it didn't work out too well because I went at it pretty aggresive and the lead just melted to the bit, bit is ruined.

I have a second one of these put together for someone to test drive and try out.

AND

I tried taking a drill to the 3lbs lead weights to shave some weight, it didn't work out too well because I went at it pretty aggresive and the lead just melted to the bit, bit is ruined.

Got a little propane torch? Melt the lead off the bit, hold it with some lock grips and wear eye and foot/arm, ect protection. :D Lead is very soft, drill slow if you have a variable speed drill.

I have a mapp gas trouch, I figure it would end up anealing the bit

I'm currently working on a sidemount harness which will be an alternative to the razor for a very large price break...
Details to come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom