An earned OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHorseWoman

Contributor
Reaction score
I live in the middle of Israel and dive in the Red
# of dives
50 - 99
I’ve had what I think is an unusual and wonderful experience in finally getting certified. Here goes……

Last December, after a couple of intros in September, I went down to Eilat to do the OW course. A few days-------a piece of cake, right? Spent most of the first day in the classroom. I’m a pretty smart girl with science background, so it was easy. First time in the water, set up gear with instructor, took off my mask, a few fin pivots…great, no problem. Next day, uh oh, had to set up gear myself, and my dyxlexsia acted up----backwards, upside down, etc. Everything seemed to go that way. Kept bumping into people, corked, couldn’t swim a straight line…. Anyway, though I did all the skills in the end, I felt like EVERYTHING was hard for me. Or, as I put it then, one of the biggest physical challenges of my life (and I have 5 kids!). I’m sure, with most other instructors, since I Aced the tests and did all the skills, I would have walked away with my C-card at the end of the week and been told to go learn to dive. I might have gone down there again to dive in a few months.

Ben, my instructor had a different plan. He told me that I could be a very good diver if I keep working at it and would cert me with Scuba so that he could be sure I would dive with instructors or DMs . I was a bit upset , but he explained that if his name was on my card, he wanted to be sure I’m a reliably safe diver.

I took it as a challenge. At the time, I was an out-of-shape 54 year old. I started dieting and working out. And have managed to get to Eilat for 3-5 days monthly. I dived with all the instructors and DMs at the dive center (AquaSport). Most said they didn’t understand why I wasn’t certified, that I was a quite adequate beginner. But the more I dived, the more I understood how much I needed to learn to be an independent diver. And the only way to do it, for me anyway, was to keep diving with them.

Finally, during the June trip, Ben told me I’m a diver and that next trip down there I would get my OW. A couple weeks ago I did it. The skills were all surprisingly easy for me, and the dives beautiful. I received the biggest compliment I think an instructor can give---that he would dive with me for pleasure when he’s not working. I feel I didn’t just get my OW, but really earned it. And to top it off, I’m now an in-shape 45 year old. Yup, took off 20 lbs and 10 years!

Doing it this way costs more, but I’m fortunate to have some of the best diving in the world 4 hours drive away, and I stay at hostels, eat from the grocery store, and sometimes even camp on the beach where I catch amazing sunrises and night snorkles. No costs of flying, hotels, or restaurants. It’s been continuing ed without the cost of courses because everyone was there for me, helping , answering questions, wanting me to suceed.

I love diving, some claim I’m obsessed with it. I know many of you know this obsession well. August trip I’ve been invited to do my AOW. Think I’ll go for it.

Barbara

Congratulations! Welcome to club.

On a different note:
My thoughts go out to you and your countrymen in this difficult time. Keep your head down.

Congrats!

Congratulations and kudos to your instructor for not setting you free before your time. My prayers are with you and all of Israel during these scary and troubled times. Hopefully, the IDF will bring a decisive end to this and soon. And as far as being that close to the Red Sea....Lucky! :D

Excellent - it sounds like your instructor has a good deal of integrity. Great job sticking with it. Congratulations diver! Be safe.

Matteo:
good for you, good for your instructor....stay safe over there...congrats on the cert and new hobby/obsession!

What he said. Every word.

I agree, you definantly earned it...congratulations. The instructor deserves cudos also. I wonder, what agency did he teach for.

Wow! Good for you, Barbara. I am so proud to know you. Very good job. I hope I get to come out to the Red Sea and dive in your neck of the woods someday. Happy diving :)

Patti

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom