An Attempt at Understanding DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once the tunnel becomes too tight and narrow for backmount DIR, do we quit exploring?

Those who don't understand DIR might say, "Yes."

Those who do understand DIR might ask, "What have we learned from DIR that we can now apply to sidemount and keep going safely?"

(Better length post, guys?) :wink:

I got another poster to advise me of the purpose of the DIR forum (via PMs). Regardless of any other measure, to accuse Thal of "trolling" is laughable. And to directly insult a valued member of this website is an insult to us all - I can't imagine Tom saying such vulgarites to Phil in person.

For the record, I did not say anything vulgar, and in the interest of playing nice and not making more work for Lamont, I revised the tone of my post. There is nothing there which I would not say to anyone in person.

My intention is not to bash PFD. Freediving, in any form, is a risky endeavor. I don't admire PFD's methods any more or any less than I'd admire a well-planned deep air scuba dive.....

.......Not every spearo off Hawaii diving alone is dangerous.

Im not a big fan of doing any solo apena stuff. A friend of mine on the big island drowned (was resuscitated) doing two minute solo breath holds in a swimming pool at a friends birthday party. He didnt think it was a big deal because he can pull off a 5 min breath hold.

I guess that is what you dont like about PFI is its strict views against solo freediving. (not sure what PFD that you reference is) Personally im not an anti-solo scuba diving zealot. Before going the GUE route I probably had about 30 solo dives and I really dont see a huge problem for non-tech solo divers but I absolutely would never do any solo wet apena work. Seems to dangerous to me.

It's really admirable that you are a solo diver that was willing to drink the GUE kool-aid and see what the other side is like. Have you done the same with PFI training?

We are getting way off topic :)

Last edited:
It's really admirable that you are a solo diver that was willing to drink the GUE kool-aid and see what the other side is like. Have you done the same with PFI training?

We are getting way off topic :)

The short answer is, "Not likely," regarding PFI.

Mark Rackney paid me one of the highest compliments as a freediver one can ever hear, and while I'm an "old dog" willing to learn new tricks, I think I have freediving tuned to the art form I very much enjoy. It's all about beauty, elegance, freedom, relaxation, and it's an expression of one's innermost self in an aqueous medium. After more than 30 years, the only 3 times I've had a problem was not listening to my elders. I limit my depths to 100 feet, my times to less than 2 minutes, and I stopped doing dynamic. CO2 sucks. All my horizontal movement is with very subtle fin and glides with no destination. My freediving also has no destination, but the moment. The last thing I need is that moment disrupted. Surfing and freediving are my only escapes from the madness of working full-time in the diving industry.

Studies have shown that anything after 60 seconds of breathhold is a crap shoot. I suffered a blackout doing static at 2:38 when 5:35 was my PB at the time. I didn't know I was getting the flu (felt fine) and my gas exchange was poor when it occurred.

As far as the GUE kool-aid goes, divers need to escape DIR as a religion. There is absolutely no reason why, once a diver has dialed-in the individual, team and equipment skills to be an excellent diver and team member, that DIR should dictate how the diver ALWAYS dives. It is important for the team that each diver be well-drilled in DIR procedures and maintains a high level of readiness to be a great team mate, but some divers can wear all hats and configurations and always be at their best doing DIR style dives, while others would become quite sloppy if not maintaining proficiency at DIR.

What's the difference between static and dynamic apnea?

Studies have shown that anything after 60 seconds of breathhold is a crap shoot. I suffered a blackout doing static at 2:38 when 5:35 was my PB at the time. I didn't know I was getting the flu (felt fine) and my gas exchange was poor when it occurred.

Just curious but since your two blackouts do you still solo freedive?

As far as the GUE kool-aid goes, divers need to escape DIR as a religion. There is absolutely no reason why, once a diver has dialed-in the individual, team and equipment skills to be an excellent diver and team member, that DIR should dictate how the diver ALWAYS dives. It is important for the team that each diver be well-drilled in DIR procedures and maintains a high level of readiness to be a great team mate, but some divers can wear all hats and configurations and always be at their best doing DIR style dives, while others would become quite sloppy if not maintaining proficiency at DIR.

People with a lot of experience such as yourself and Thal make this argument all the time. Unfortunately a diver like myself might read that statement and say "yeah screw this im buying an RB after all" way before we were ready. Personally as a diver im in that stage of "knowing what I don't know". I dont trust in my ability to make an informed decision about deviating from a structured dive program and to do so would merely inject more likelihood of error. I've seen a few tech divers do this especially in regards to RBs.

I am absolutely convinced that GUE/UTD is the best approach for tech diving, especially for new divers. Believe me if I saw something else out there that was better I would switch in a second. Emphasis on the word "saw" someone on a dive forum isnt going to convince me to do so :wink:

Maybe one day I will decide that I am ready to get off this train... ask me again after Cave1/Cave2 and Tech2. Maybe by then I will feel informed and experienced enough to do so. :D

What's the difference between static and dynamic apnea?

Static apnea is lying with your face in the water holding your breath. Dynamic apnea is used to describe breathholding while swimming horizontally.

Actual freediving has a whole bunch of terms for it based on things like if you use ballast of if you dont, fins or not, so on and so on. Why am I answering this?!? Just google it :lotsalove:

I thought that was it. I just asked because Trace said he stopped doing dynamic apnea. Then he talked about his 100' freedives. Seemed counter to what I thought I knew.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom