American's New Baggage Fees.....aaargh!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol - I could handle the extra $50 if the airline actually provided proper service.

On March 29 our flight from Cozumel to Montreal was delayed so we missed our connecting flight to Toronto. The flight landed at 10:30pm and I spent the next 25 minutes searching the arrival and departure terminals for an Air Canada agent for our hotel vouchers. Just before 11pm I approached the information counter on the departure level. She spent the next hour and a half calling (4 times) and paging (at least 5 times) for an agent. As I was traveling with my 85 year old mother (in a wheelchair) and my ten year old daughter, I was clearly unhappy that an agent did not show up until 12:30. When another passenger mentioned that we were waiting first, she rudely replied that she already started doing his voucher and would get to me when she was finished with his. By the time we got our vouchers it was close to 1am. Thankfully we stayed at the Marriott attached to the airport which was wonderful. When I told the Air Canada agent that words could not express how disappointed and upset I was she simply shrugged her shoulders and said thats too bad. Sadly, it seems this attitude is not the exception but the norm. Since our luggage was put in storage, security took my $75 bottle of tequila from my carry on the next morning even though it was in a duty free bag sealed with a zip tie. I will be making a formal complaint with Air Canada. Am I hopeful that they will adequately address the mistakes? Not really. It seems like the only way you can lose your job at Air Canada is by committing a criminal act.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If not, you could always consider using part of your 4 oz allocation of carry-on liquids for super glue.

AA still allows 3 checked bags/person when you fly Business or First Class.

Vote with your feet, as they say. I only fly AA if the only other choice is Untied "Airlines."

AA is also the queen of blackouts, it seems. I have 300k+ FF miles with them but can't seem to find a workable set of flights they'll,let me spend them on. Fly Delta.

Vote with your feet, as they say. I only fly AA if the only other choice is Untied "Airlines."

AA is also the queen of blackouts, it seems. I have 300k+ FF miles with them but can't seem to find a workable set of flights they'll,let me spend them on. Fly Delta.
Wish I could. American and United are about all I have out here since Delta left.

I think AA recently changed to no blackout dates, so you can redeem at Anytime levels anyway. Merged airlines now merging frequent-flier rules - Philly.com

I haven't taken one in years. A couple of trips I got new ones at Mega, then left them behind - but the last two times at Hotel Cozumel, I got rooms not far from the big coffee maker and fill my quart vacuum bottle there often. The waiters would do it for me if asked: half coffee, half cheap liqueur. They like my $2 bills.
Is that the "special blend" you take on the boat? No wonder you enjoy your dives so much :wink:

So if I spend like $300 more per ticket (on a good rate!), I can save up to $75!
Can we use FF-miles to upgrade on the cheapest tickets? Probably not.

but the last two times at Hotel Cozumel, I got rooms not far from the big coffee maker and fill my quart vacuum bottle there often. The waiters would do it for me if asked: half coffee, half cheap liqueur. They like my $2 bills.

Yep - I knew there was something more in that thermos of yours!

So if I spend like $300 more per ticket (on a good rate!), I can save up to $75!

We certainly don't fly first class to save $75. We like it because of the room, service, meals, drinks, etc. They don't treat you like cattle in first class. And you can use FF miles to upgrade as we do it quite often. The days of the $99 round trip airfare from DFW to CZM have been over since September 2001 . As you get older, you have more expendable income and comfort is more important than money. We have been diving Cozumel since 1981. We usually now even hire private dive boats, just the Hubby and I, so we can dive where we want and not be at the mercy of the rest of the boat. It works for us :blinking:

Back
Top Bottom