American is giving me 11 minutes to connect in DFW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not do the bag drag for the return trip? I understand it is not ideal but to me it would be a better solution than overnighting in DFW

The original 30 minutes was probably not enough time for a transfer anyway.
I don't know where you got that. My original connection was like 3 hours to clear I&C and get to my connection.

Why not do the bag drag for the return trip? I understand it is not ideal but to me it would be a better solution than overnighting in DFW
Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Either way I am dragging 140# in luggage, but better to drag it to Cancun with local porters to help than dragging it to a DFW hotel and back. I'll look into it.

Ugh! I looked. I'd have to be in Cancun early enough for an 11 am flight, then a 5¼ hour layover. I'm not sure that's better.

I don't know where you got that. My original connection was like 3 hours to clear I&C and get to my connection.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Either way I am dragging 140# in luggage, but better to drag it to Cancun with local porters to help than dragging it to a DFW hotel and back. I'll look into it.

Ugh! I looked. I'd have to be in Cancun early enough for an 11 am flight, then a 5¼ hour layover. I'm not sure that's better.
At least you wouldn't have to hump your equipaje out to a hotel and back, and getting to the Cancun airport in time wouldn't be all that hard. Layovers are simply a fact of life with air travel, and of course it's worse these days.

Neither option is all that attractive to me, but the bag drag might be the lesser evil.

While not as nice as a 1 day trip, an overnight at a DFW airport hotel with a shuttle isn't that bad, IMHO (just sucks 'cause you want to get home and sleep in your own bed :(). I often overnight at hubs outbound to places like Bonaire or Roatan where there are limited flights and a missed connection can sometimes cost you a couple of days (and your bags). I would find the overnight much easier than dealing with the bag drag (not the end of the world either). Seems if you're like me (and it looks like you are) flying in and out of small airports with connections, dive travel is going to include this sort of thing for the foreseeable future. Good time to find a hotel you like and join the points/free stay club. It's supposed to be an adventure...right? :):clearmask:

That sounds kinda tight, doesn't it? That includes clearing Immigration and Customs. I hope I don't have to change terminals.

It seems that the 3:52 pm departure from CZM to DFW has been pushed back to 4:11 pm for all of us who have to go thru there. That plane still arrives in CZM at about the same time of 3:13 pm, but they insist that they now need longer to turn it around - a margarita break? Then the 9:00 pm departure to Lubbock just doesn't anymore. The last flight to the Hub City is now at 7:16 pm, and they expect me to be on it. I checked their site and all DFW to Lubbock one-way tickets are also priced at $876! For that price, I'd expect round-trip travel to Europe, but that'd be a same day trip since they wouldn't let me in.

Well, at the worst I suppose I could use this as grounds for a cash refund on my ticket if I chicken out on going. I still hope to go even tho I fear riding in the flying Petri dishes, so for now I think I need to shop for a DFW hotel. Thinks I can get them to pay for it?
Probably for aircraft cleaning/sanitizing.

At least you wouldn't have to hump your equipaje out to a hotel and back, and getting to the Cancun airport in time wouldn't be all that hard. Layovers are simply a fact of life with air travel, and of course it's worse these days.

Neither option is all that attractive to me, but the bag drag might be the lesser evil.
Yeah, the idea has appeal, but I am so tired of planning trips, changing plans, then canceling one after another that enthusiasm escapes me here.

an overnight at a DFW airport hotel with a shuttle isn't that bad
Yeah, I used to do those for fun. Times and I both have changed.

Probably for aircraft cleaning/sanitizing.
Bingo. I am surprised no one mentioned that earlier.

DandyDon,
Not American but looks like United Saturday flights have better connection times through Houston from Lubbock Not certain about cost difference (and bag fee difference ) and whether Saturdays work for you. Goal would be to get refund on American for ridiculous connection time obviously. Understand that may not work for a variety of reasons but figured I would throw it out there.

Airline computer systems seem to keep blowing up. I had United give me a negative connection time through Denver at one point. The computer finally realized that wouldn’t work so it just changed my departure city from Houston to Denver since it figured I wouldn’t mind driving 1,000 miles :).

140lbs! Wow. Why so much gear?

The bag drag isn’t that bad if you have never done it. Although is more expensive. Looking at somewhere in the range of $100 return to the ferry for a private car . $30 return for the ferry and $30 each way for the porters at playa ferry dock. Then say $15 for your cab on Cozumel...so yeah I suppose it does add up. I absolutely hate the layover hotel though..

although American should refund you for that flight change as it’s shorter than mandated minimum time’s for transfer. Similar thing happened to me last month and they refunded no questions.

My connection from last month was even better. Just call and get a different flight, they will switch it free.

View attachment 596249

You shouldv'e told them that if you could teleport instantly from one gate to another, you'd just teleport the whole way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom