American Air Lines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of all the years we have been going to the Caribbean on vacation, I never had to spend the night at a layover city. So when we get to Miami and spend the night, are we supposed to get our checked luggage. Or do they hold it for our flight the next morning?
Jeff

So when we get to Miami and spend the night, are we supposed to get our checked luggage. Or do they hold it for our flight the next morning?

When I had to spend a night at a city between flights, I always had to take all luggage with me for the night. I don't want to leave my luggage with AA for that long anyways.

Yeah they make you get your bag and recheck it the next morning. The kiosk will try to charge you another $30 for the bag so you have to wait in line in the morning to have an agent check it. This is not the bag drop off line. It is the line for getting boarding passes the old way we used to do it before kiosks. Save your receipt that you paid for your bag in Boston.

It can be quite confusing and busy at MIA as it is an AA hub. Look for a roving AA agent outside the lines to tell you what line to get in to go to Bonaire.

If you are late in the morning or the lines look insanely long I would just pay the extra $30 for the bag at the kiosk. Trust me I wish I did in June even though it ended up well and I made my flight. The stress of the situation was not worth saving $30.

Edit: When I went in June it was when AA was cancelling a bunch of flights (but not mine) so that is why it was so crazy at MIA. Tons of travelers got stranded in MIami and were trying to get rescheduled. If there are no cancelled flights I suspect you will have no drama.

It can be quite confusing and busy at MIA as it is an AA hub. Look for a roving AA agent outside the lines to tell you what line to get in to go to Bonaire.

If you are late in the morning or the lines look insanely long I would just pay the extra $30 for the bag at the kiosk. Trust me I wish I did in June even though it ended up well and I made my flight. The stress of the situation was not worth saving $30.

The curbside checkin counters at MIA are often less busy and are full service printing boarding passes and taking checkin bags. They are outside the D gates as you pull up. Usually a small tip is expected but a convenient time saver.

Me and 2 others are planning to go to Bonaire next April 2023. I'm in FL, about 1.5 hrs north of Miami. My cousin is in South Carolina and my other buddy is in Georgia (west of Atlanta). Both of them are opting to drive down to my house the day prior, spend the night, and ride to Miami with me because they don't trust AA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom