American Air Lines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In early June I booked a weeks stay on Bonaire. We picked American Air Lines Wednesday to Wednesday flights since they were cheaper. Normally we fly on United, but AA was quite a bit cheaper. Our original flight through Miami from Chicago had an hour and 15 minute layover. Then 2 weeks later they changed our flights going down, we now had 77 minute layover. Now a couple days ago they changed the flights for the second time. Now we have a 50 minute layover in Miami. I have never flew into Miami before so I am a little concerned about the short layover, especially with all the delays and cancellations these days. Coming back to the states we have a 3 hour layover, so I am not worried about that. I am debating what I should do, wait to see if they change the flights again. Or should I try to change our flight leaving Chicago to Tuesday and spend the night in Miami. I sure don't think I should have to pay a charge to change the flight, since they changed the flight on us. Any thoughts are appreciated.
BTW. this will be our first time back there since just before Covid. Can't wait.

Your bags should be checked thru to Bonaire on the way down. We walked the length of the terminal where American is in Miami Gate 3 to Gate 53 or something, it took about 30 minutes. We could have taken the terminal train and got there faster had we known. We had a 90 minute layover and had plenty of time to spare.

Coming back we had a 2hr, lay over in Miami, but the plane was 2 hrs late getting to Bonaire, so we got bumped off our Philly flight, sent to Greenville SC for 8hrs and then off to Philly at 8 am the next day. Needless to say we are less than thrilled with American Airlines.

2 hrs on a Wednesday evening was plenty of time to clear customs get bags and go back thru security. Greenville regional airport sucks, the close the terminals after the last flight. The cops ran us out of the terminal where we were trying to nap and made us go the "unsecured" lobby to wait until 6:00am

One aggravation is you don't know the gates for the arriving and departing flights, just that both are on American airlines at Miami airport. I hope the gates are fairly close to each other. If the first arrives on time, given that you want to be at your gate at least a half-hour before departure, you've got 20-minutes to deplane and get to the new gate before they start boarding. And the next plane will close up and refuse further boarding at some point prior to departure.

Bit of a nail-biter. The other potential drama is how much time that gives the baggage people to get your bags off the arriving plane and onto the departing plane. If your bags have to come another day, wonder how long the delay would be?

I don't know what you should do. I'm a passive aggressive introvert and would probably go through with the plan as-is, keeping it simple (and hopefully cheap), but you might want to reason through what's likely to unfold if you (or your bags) miss that departing flight.

Whatever you do, let us know how it works out!

Richard.

I am a retired airline pilot, so my perspective is based on the likelihood that your 50 minute connect time could evaporate in so many travel scenarios. Considering the number of cancellations and delays airlines are currently experiencing, and the fact that you now have a 50 minute connect time, I would certainly contact American and see if they could switch you (without additional cost or very minor cost) to a flight to Miami the previous day. That is what we did when we flew to Curacao last August during a period of erratic, but frequent flight delay/cancellation issues. If you elect to exercise that option (if available), the downside is you will have to collect your bags at Miami, go back through security the following day for the MIA-BON leg, and absorb the cost of an overnight stay in Miami. For me, the peace of mind knowing AA was less likely to cancel the MIA-CUR leg was worth the extra costs incurred with hotel, food expenses, and the bag drag back to the airport. If you decide to stay with your current reservation, I strongly recommend studying where to catch the Skytrain, and where it stops, in the American terminal. Good luck.

American is all in terminal D an E and you can pretty well walk fast and make it from one end to another in 20 minutes or so. If all goes well you'll make it ok. ... but, lately the airport has been chaotic.

Even if the flight lands on time, you may have to wait for a gate on the tarmac. Last time we waited 30 mins. We also waited an hour for luggage to come out, so there is definitely some kind of handler shortage there. Then, there is the Miami weather.

They've trimmed down Bonaire flights to every other day, so if you miss it you're out at least 2 days. We've kept an eye out and the flights have been pretty full. Your best bet may be trying to get to Miami earlier if you can.

Try calling them and explaining the connection and the airport feedback (and the reduced schedule). You may get a sympathetic agent. In theory if they change a flight less than a 3 hours they don't have to accommodate but you can always try. Some agents are more helpful than others.

Note also that they have eliminated change fees so assuming the flight cost is not crazy you could always rebook or take a credit. I just saw a one way (ORD-MIA) in late august for 109$ so I would probably do something like that... worth the extra peace of mind IMO

+1 what Jaan said. Easy walk between terminals (20 min max). The next 3 days flights to Bonaire leave from D gates. Today's flight AA 2341 from Chicago lands at D gate.

If your bags have to come another day, wonder how long the delay would be?

They've trimmed down Bonaire flights to every other day,
American is only flying MIA-BON on Weds and Sat, so if your bags are not on your flight, they'll be on the next AA flight to BON, which might mean Weds if you were on a Sat flight.

You violated rule one...NEVER FLY AA!

You violated rule one...NEVER FLY AA!
"But it is the cheapest!" Guess why....

At this point in our lives, we don't want "connection stress" like that. Who wants to be sitting on the plane waiting to get to the gate and realize with every passing minute, there goes our connection. I think you should have two choices: Ask for a full refund based on their schedule change and then book with United or go the night before to Miami and state that you do not want to pay any more for this change due to their schedule change. We just had this happen with our November trip to Palau. United eliminated the route we had chosen and booked us on another route with an added stop and only a 50 minute layover in Honolulu. I called, described the new itinerary we wanted, eliminate the extra stop and overnight in Honolulu (so we can finally get to Pearl Harbor) and said to the United agent "Same price, right?" He said, "we changed the flight so no charge". This, despite the route I picked being $400 per person more expensive.
The rule is that if the airline changes the flight "substantially" you should get a free change or refund. The fight will be over the word "Substantially". At least the agent in my case was all on our side.
Good luck.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom